IGNORED

flash2pass or autoswitch, any recommendations?

KER

My new RTP is finally here and will take delivery in a few days. Before I just had a garage door FOB attached to my glove box cover and it worked fine, just not very convenient to stop and open the cover and use it. I was thinking of adding a flash2pass unit or an autoswitch unit. F2P is more expensive but its self contained but reviews are hit and miss. The autoswitch is cheap but requires the use of a regular remote as well, which means possible battery issues and such with the remote itself. My 3rd option is just to wire a push button straight the a remotely located FOB and not purchase anything else. Anyone have experience with either one of these or any recommendations?

I will have the entire bike stripped down to the frame for a mobile radio installation anyways so wiring anything is not an issue.

szurszewski

I'm pretty cheap, so I went with your "third" option and just wired our old garage door opener to my wife's Vespa. The garage door opener was 12v, so I picked up power from an unused harness plug (I think it was for an alarm, but any 12v wire would do - lots of options if you're pulling apart the bike for a radio like you say), and then wired in a water resistant momentary push button that I mounted on the panel just to the side of her ignition (again lots of options on an RTP as to where to put the switch).

Since the remote is wired into the bike, there's no battery issue. The only cost for me was the switch, which was maybe five bucks. I picked a switched power source because our son likes to sit on his mom's scooter and I didn't want him accidentally operating the door.

It worked great until our 70 year old garage door finally self destructed... guess what I get to rebuild this weekend...

good luck!

josh

Remember that video going around where the rider would pull up to the door, blow his horn twice, and his wife would press the switch to activate the garage door opener?

That's the system it have used at our house for 3 decades. It's a reliable and user friendly set up, and as an added bonus, a cold beer is delivered to the rider.

I just put the remote under the clear map area of the tank bag.

Just push, opens.

And it can easily be removed for other duty.

Sometimes simple is...

If I want variety, put it in a jacket pocket, and push, door opens.

My autoswitch is for 2nd set of aux lights.

YMMV

Remember that video going around where the rider would pull up to the door, blow his horn twice, and his wife would press the switch to activate the garage door opener?

That's the system it have used at our house for 3 decades. It's a reliable and user friendly set up, and as an added bonus, a cold beer is delivered to the rider.

That's one expensive garage door opener when one takes maintenance into account.

That's one expensive garage door opener when one takes maintenance into account.

If I pulled up and blew my horn expecting my wife to drop what she was doing to open the door for me, I would be waiting a very long time.

And I would spend an eternity paying for my presumption.

BeemerChris

And noisy

I've simply got mine hanging on some wires in the steering area. Reach down to tap it when rolling up the road. It's been through plenty of drenchings and still hasn't failed.

And noisy

Now that is funny, but true :cry:

I carried mine in the inside pocket of my jacket. Push the button, door opens, just like in the cage.

I like the beer delivery idea, though. Is your wife available for FL work? :grin:

Dave_zoom_zoom

Fantastic!!!

If she had any single sisters around, I'd think they would quickly make the short list for an eligible bachelor. :clap:

My complements and respect to your wife! (If this is really true)

Dave

markgoodrich

Hijack: those of you who use the garage remote with "the button"...My remote has three very small buttons; I can't hit the right one (two doors) with gloved hands. What one-button remote works? Oh: Genie rolling code door opener.

I bought the Autoswitch garage door opener switch but never installed it.

Just using the two button opener thingy.

Hijack: those of you who use the garage remote with "the button"...My remote has three very small buttons; I can't hit the right one (two doors) with gloved hands. What one-button remote works? Oh: Genie rolling code door opener.

My remote key fob also has three buttons. I programmed two for the door my bike uses. Now it doesn't matter which one I hit. I never need the third door for the bike.

markgoodrich

I just got off the phone with Genie. They have a new one button remote available direct from the company, not in stores yet. They also have some discontinued one-button units which are much cheaper and can be programmed to use with current openers. I'll go this route. I had one at the old house, took the case apart and sealed it with silicone sealer and velcroed it to the clutch reservoir, where it stayed for years, with no issues whatsoever. Ten bucks plus shipping and done.

markgoodrich

My remote key fob also has three buttons. I programmed two for the door my bike uses. Now it doesn't matter which one I hit. I never need the third door for the bike.

Genius. I'm an idiot. I just spent ten bucks for nothing.

mine is mounted under my dash with a piece of aluminium angle iron and velcro. It works perfect and is easy to hit with either hand. It has enough range to start the door at the corner of the house and I roll right in

IMG_20140129_043132911.jpg

Chris

Archived