IGNORED

Best low seat for R1150RT

Kenboy

Hi, I'm a new owner of 2002 R1150RT (and new to beemers too, last bike was an older 'wing). Love the bike, but it's a bit tall for me. I see that there are 'low' seats that can be bought for the bike, am considering a Sargent. I'd really welcome any advice on the best low seat. I plan on putting bucoo miles on my baby, so comfort obviously a consideration.

I can't speak to the "best low seat" but I rode down to Sargent for a seat fitting several weeks ago, and about 10 seconds was all I needed to know that I didn't want their low seat, which was seriously lacking in paddding. I also purchased from someone on this forum, a Mayer (can't remember if it was Bill or Rick) custom seat, which was made for a short rider. Same problem — not enough padding.

I ended up with the standard Sargent seat, which I'm guessing is about 1/2" lower at the rear, but I had them shave the nose of the seat by about 1/2" inch. I can almost flat foot the bike (28.5" inseam), and the new seat is a better than anything I had tried previously.

Last year, the soles on my Aerostich Combat Lite boots were pretty badly worn, so I had them replaced. I talked with the shoemaker, and had an extra 1/8" installed between the boot and new sole. 1/8" doesn't sound like much, but it translates to 1/4" when you have only one foot down, and turns out to be a tremendous improvement.

Ken,

First of all, welcome! Hope you enjoy your time with the bike, and here at bmwst. :thumbsup:

Second, seats are a very personal item, because they have to fit your situation. Inseam, riding style, weight, shape of your butt, and so on. Thus, there will be seats that other riders like, but they might not be the right one for you.

Depending on where you are, there will hopefully be a local BMW Owners/riders club. If so, try going to one of their meetings and in the course of things, see if you can try out a few to see if there is something that works better for you.

Also, if you haven't done so already, familiarize yourself with the seat height adjuster on your 1150. It has three stock positions, and it's possible it might not be in the lowest setting. If so, move it down and try that. If it is already in the lowest position, I have known people who have cut away some of the rubber on the mounts on the end of the adjuster bar, to get the stock seat half an inch lower.

Best of luck finding what you need to make the bike comfortable for you.

If you fill out some of your profile, other members will know approximately where you are, and might make themselves available when you need some help.

Location is key As already mentioned Ken.

In Calif, there are several seat makers that do custom seats high and low.

ALSO- Many 1150's came with the RT comfort seat that is plush and thick. You should compare it to the standard seat from any year STOCK seat from an R1100RT. That may solve your problem there.

If not sure what you have, post a picture of your seat. Ok, your bikes seat so we can see watcha got.

Welcome.

Since I'm new to Beemers, anything people might have to say in terms of general advice about Beemers or about the 1150RT in particular are welcome to.

In terms of low-seats I've owned Corbin's and Sergent's and I personally like the Sergent's best.

Years ago, after a long day riding in the Smokies, I rode from Tellico Plains to Ducktown, TN, standing up rather than sit on my Corbin for another minute.

I had a Sergent low-seat on the DR650 that I rode on a 5,000 mile trip in 2010 and it was a godsend -- compared to the OEM padded pine-rail that Suzuki calls a "saddle."

And I have a Sergent low-seat on the RT that is entirely satisfactory.

The initial stiffness in the padding is normal. Seats do take a bit of time to break in and to conform to one's ... uh, cheeks.

I have to add +1 on the boots. after reading several forums, and many threads about lowering bikes and custom lower seats, I decided to try these... http://www.riverroadgear.com/dbl_zipper.html

at around $100 at revzilla, i thought it couldn't hurt to try. I was surprised at how well they fit, true to size, and not cramping my toes... they are way more comfortable than I expected, and the best thing is.... they did the trick for me! made an amazing difference at how I could handle the bike while stopped now. in fact, they allowed me to even move the seat up to the middle position, easing the angle at the knees. I may still do something with the seat, but not for height now... the RS seat is minimal compared to a RT... but thinking in line of airhawk cushion.

I have short legs, and the Sargent low seat works very well for me. I think it is reasonable in the comfort department, and it gets me just enough extra reach to the ground.

Adventureman

Thanks for the topic and great suggestions! I'm in similar situation with my "new to me" 1999 R1100RT. I'll try the footwear 'boost' first seeing how I need to get some boots anyways.

Obtaining a custom seat is an expense I cannot see yet but it is in the plans.

Obtaining a custom seat is an expense I cannot see yet but it is in the plans.

Don't be so sure. The custom seat I just tested for BMW-ON is less expensive and, to my butt, more comfortable than ANY off the shelf solution I've ever tried. Flatfooting a BMW On A Budget

-MKL

Also, if you haven't done so already, familiarize yourself with the seat height adjuster on your 1150. It has three stock positions, and it's possible it might not be in the lowest setting. If so, move it down and try that. If it is already in the lowest position, I have known people who have cut away some of the rubber on the mounts on the end of the adjuster bar, to get the stock seat half an inch lower.

+1 on what he said.

Welcome Kenboy! Maybe we'll run into each other around town...if it ever warms up!

The best low seat is one you have custom fitted to your exact specification by a local seat builder.

Every community of any size will have several. Go to an independent Harley shop and chat-up someone. They will know and can recommend a seat builder.

I have had 6 seats built to my specifications by a local guy. Each instance was started with a long conversation about what I thought I wanted. He built it then told me to ride it for two weeks then bring it back in for final adjustments.

If you find a guy who understands foam densities… you have found your guy. If he only has a blank look… find another.

The cost of a full local custom will be about 1/3 the big name guys.

I took out the seat adjuster mechanism and made brackets from L shaped aluminum . I had pictures and a thread on here but I can't find it now. Maybe the mods delete older posts. It made a considerable difference and lowered my Sargent seat about 3/4 of an inch.

Well, after reading your comments and doing more research, I decided to order a Sargent Low seat. I know there have been a mix of reviews on this thread in particular, but overall the seat seems to have mostly positive reviews. A custom seat isn't in the cards right now, and the Corbin seat the previous owner put on is too wide and just isn't for me (but selling it will help pay for the Sargent ). I'll update this when I've had a chance to try it out. Thanks for all your help!

FWIW I think you made a good choice. I have the Sargent low seat and I love it. It fits the bike perfectly and is all day comfortable.

+1 on on the Sergeant being a good choice.

And if you later find you need just an extra bit of padding, a sheepskin butt-pad is an ideal touch.

You can find the real thing (i.e., leather with real sheep's wool) at most medical supply houses.

They are used all the time in rehabs and nursing homes for comfort care of bed-ridden patients. Just ask in the local nursing home office where they get theirs.

I can't speak highly enough about Russell seats. They customize your seat to you and can address the low seat issue. I have never tried any of the others so I can not do a compare either, but I will say: Russell Day Long is the only seat I will use.

Archived