IGNORED

So my new (to me RT) has a buzz in the right grip that makes

Bud

my hand go numb. It has the old style Throttlemeister on it.

Has anyone here tried aftermarket grip covers? Did they work OK at reducing the buzz?

Yes, I'm too darn cheap to buy a pair just to see. :grin:

Morning Bud

You didn't say what year RT you are working with.

So this will have to be pretty general info--

Things like grip puppy's & thicker/softer hand grips can reduce the felt bar vibrations BUT those thicker/softer options also reduce heating from heated hand grips (if your bike has those).

I have had decent improvements in grip BUZZ by adding more weight to the outer bar end weights. Sometimes just adding a 2nd weight can reduce the buzz to an acceptable level for most riders.

There are also companies that make heavier bar end weights that can reduce bar buzz in certain operating ranges (usually 4k-5k range.

On the later BMW boxer RT's (on my personal bikes) I also change the bar to triple tree attachment from 4 to 3 bolts & shim the bar mounting to allow a slight spacing between the bar mounting & top triple tree so the bars can uncouple from the bike's vibration a bit (not night & day better but noticeable)

I see you say "new to you RT"-- That tells me something right there. Before doing much to go after that bar buzz you might ride that bike about 2k-3k miles just getting more use to the bike. On a new to you bike you are probably gripping the handlebars a lot tighter than you need to so that usually makes a new bike feel more buzzy than one that you are very comfortable on.

Good morning DR.

Thanks for the response.

New to me is a 99 Boston Green RT . It replaced a Blue 99 which found a new home in MT. Last September I rode home to S. Il from Denver where I bought it which was 900 miles. Was buzzy the whole way.

I have a throttle rocker so I don't have to "grip" the grip. I don't have heated grips so that won't be an issue.

Yes and grip puppies or similar do help

Thanks, if they make the buzz less noticeable, then I will get a pair and call them "Hush Puppies". :wave:

your best bet is to ride a KLR or any big single thumper for about 100 miles then get back on the RT and go AHHHHHHHHH!!

HAHA

Chris

Lighthiker90

When is the next service due? I had a light buzz in my 1100rt until I did a throttle body sync. My mirror also shook giving another sign that the vibration wasn't all handlebar related.

A while back I got a pair of these (foam grips) from the Boneyard. They were a nice improvement, and considering they were only $6 (at the time), a solid bargain. I had 'em for a couple of years and got a little ham-fisted one day trying to roll them off and ripped one. At the time, the Boneyard lost their supply source and didn't have them available. I bought these (Grab-on Grip Covers) and they've been OK. They were a little tougher to slide on and, I think, not quite as effective at soaking up the vibes (maybe a slightly stiffer durometer foam). I'll go back to the Boneyard covers next time. You can see the price has gone up a little, but I still think they are a worthy purchase. Maybe lump them in with some maintenance bits to help justify the shipping.

A few things to note. They are not the holy grail - still transmit some vibrations and I have to still remind myself to not grip so tightly or else my hands will go numb. They will noticeably increase the diameter of your grips. I know this is kind of a "DUH" statement, but it is considerable. I don't mind it and in fact, kinda prefer it. I think it sorta helps with that "gripping too tightly" thing. They are a little tricky to get on - patience is your friend on this task. They do tend to slide a little inward over time. This is very minor as far as I'm concerned - maybe end up sliding them back into place every 3 months or so. As D.R. mentioned, they do reduce he response time of your heated grips. Not an issue for you, but something to note for others out there. I am a little concerned about overheating the elements (as the grips are not as effective at dissipating that heat). I sparingly run them on high.

So overall, a net improvement for me - and a pretty inexpensive one at that.

your best bet is to ride a KLR or any big single thumper for about 100 miles then get back on the RT and go AHHHHHHHHH!!

HAHA

Chris

+1

Right on, and contagious KLR is smooth for a single.

markgoodrich
A while back I got a pair of these (foam grips) from the Boneyard. They were a nice improvement, and considering they were only $6 (at the time), a solid bargain. I had 'em for a couple of years and got a little ham-fisted one day trying to roll them off and ripped one. At the time, the Boneyard lost their supply source and didn't have them available. I bought these (Grab-on Grip Covers) and they've been OK. They were a little tougher to slide on and, I think, not quite as effective at soaking up the vibes (maybe a slightly stiffer durometer foam). I'll go back to the Boneyard covers next time. You can see the price has gone up a little, but I still think they are a worthy purchase. Maybe lump them in with some maintenance bits to help justify the shipping.

A few things to note. They are not the holy grail - still transmit some vibrations and I have to still remind myself to not grip so tightly or else my hands will go numb. They will noticeably increase the diameter of your grips. I know this is kind of a "DUH" statement, but it is considerable. I don't mind it and in fact, kinda prefer it. I think it sorta helps with that "gripping too tightly" thing. They are a little tricky to get on - patience is your friend on this task. They do tend to slide a little inward over time. This is very minor as far as I'm concerned - maybe end up sliding them back into place every 3 months or so. As D.R. mentioned, they do reduce he response time of your heated grips. Not an issue for you, but something to note for others out there. I am a little concerned about overheating the elements (as the grips are not as effective at dissipating that heat). I sparingly run them on high.

So overall, a net improvement for me - and a pretty inexpensive one at that.

An air compressor with a simple trigger air nozzle helps putting the puppies on and taking them off. Get the grip started, and use the air to help put it on. Someone told me that years ago, and it actually worked. Uh, it worked to remove them, anyway. I didn't like them, too fat.

Archived