IGNORED

Anyone use a set of ContiMotion Tires?

JerryMather

JerryMather

I want a longer wearing set of tires and ContiMotion tires were recommended as a cheap long lasting tire to look at.

Anyone around here put a set of these one their bike? What kind of mileage did you get and how did they feel compared to others that you've used in the past?

At $170 a set, they're worth a look but I've never used a Continental tire. I like may Dunlops but not the mileage I get out of them. Maybe I need to slow down. :dopeslap:

Lone_RT_rider

I'm running them Jerry. I've got 500 miles on my first set. So far, so good. They turn in easy and are very stable at speed. I got my first taste of them in the wet on Saturday and all seemed well. No squirlyness involved at all, except for the nut on the seat. :)

As far as mileage goes, at the rate I have been riding lately I should be able to give you a 6K report in about 2 years. lol

Shawn

JerryMather

Good to know, thx.

My reason behind this is to use a sport touring tire on my Tuono when I'm planning on a long distance trip.

I know these are made for a heavier bike than my Tuono & that I'll be sacrificing some handling in the twisters but I just can't bring myself to put on another set of Dunlop Q3's and get only a couple thousand miles on them while doing a long slab ride. It seems like such a waste of good rubber when I do this.

So, If I get more mileage out of these while doing longer trips, I'm willing to tone it down a little in the twisties if necessary. I put on a set of Pilot Roads to compare the ride to the Dunlops & found that there was a big difference in the twisters.

Lone_RT_rider

David Baker used to run Sport Touring tires on his Tuono without issue. I can't remember the brand, but I never remember him complaining about them. Russel would know, ping him and he might be able to help as well.

Shawn

Which Pilot Roads did you try?

I'm running Pilot Road 3s on my Ducati Monster both on the street and track. I decided to try them on the Monster right before I went on a track day. I'd been very impressed with how they did on my RT especially when pushed, and I needed new tires to pass inspection. It has worked out very well. I've done 2 or 3 track days on that one set along with regular street riding. I'll get long life while having excellent performance on the track.

The price wasn't $170 for the set, but still very reasonable.

Just checked. Look like just under $300 for a set.

JerryMather

Ed-

I'm not sure which Pilot Roads they were. I put them on at the end of last summer and ran them up on the Crest, which is very close to doing track days.

They did last longer than the Dunlops for sure & didn't slip but they felt hard and slower to turn in than the Dunlops.

Overall, I didn't feel as comfortable running them on the Tuono as I did on the KRS. I've used them on the KRS for years and enjoyed them until they're done. At that point they're almost scary but you know they're done.

Here's a couple of pictures taken after the first time I used them on the track. The side compound is really soft compared to the center. I never had any issues with turn ins and the grip in corners inspired confidence.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Coincidently, I just threw a new Conti on the front last night 'cause my rear still has lots of tread left with the idea that by the time the new CM wears out on the front it will be time for a new matched set all around. I plan on doing PR4's or Angel GT's at that time. Until then I'm also interested to see how the CM does.

The old tire was full of that coagulated brown ride-on stuff that looked like about a pound of fat from the bottom of a turkey pan at Thanksgiving - yuk!

A lot of incessant babbling maybe but this is a discussion board, right?!?! Woot!!!

JerryMather

For $170 delivered, I pulled the trigger on a set to see how they handle. Thx for the input guys, I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

JerryMather

:P I hope you had fun during those miles!

And I really hope I get a lot more than that, since a new set is already on my bike waiting to get scrubbed in. :P

I'm running them Jerry. I've got 500 miles on my first set. So far, so good. They turn in easy and are very stable at speed. I got my first taste of them in the wet on Saturday and all seemed well. No squirlyness involved at all, except for the nut on the seat. :)

As far as mileage goes, at the rate I have been riding lately I should be able to give you a 6K report in about 2 years. lol

Shawn

Bad news. After 911 miles, my rear tire looks like this.

20140426_160531-S.jpg

I'm confused. You liked it at 500 miles and now at 900 miles it's toast? How'd that happen?

Lone_RT_rider
I'm confused. You liked it at 500 miles and now at 900 miles it's toast? How'd that happen?

To be fair, after reviewing my mileage I don't think I had a true 500 miles on the tires before I left. It would be a guess, but probably more like 200-300 miles. So really all that wear happened in about 600 to 700 miles. How you ask? I was riding roads and hanging out with THIS CROWD!!!

Crazy stuff happens up in them there mountains. :D

Shawn

Lone_RT_rider

And I really hope I get a lot more than that, since a new set is already on my bike waiting to get scrubbed in. :P

Jerry,

I had a conversation this past weekend with Ken Deline who is rides a bit less aggressively than I do. He stated that he was able to make his last 6K miles. Maybe you might get a bit more out of them than I did. The technician at Wheelers Performance in Robbinsville, NC where I had the new tires put on the bike stated that what he saw with my tires seems to be happening a lot for the Conti's. I still wish you the best of luck.

Sorry if I lead you astray. Getting a new set of tires was not something I expected to do this weekend, that's for sure. For the record, I replaced the Conti's with PR4's.

Shawn

To be fair, after reviewing my mileage I don't think I had a true 500 miles on the tires before I left. It would be a guess, but probably more like 200-300 miles. So really all that wear happened in about 600 to 700 miles. How you ask? I was riding roads and hanging out with THIS CROWD!!!

Crazy stuff happens up in them there mountains. :D

Shawn

Yeah, those folks that go to the smokey mountains are a leading cause of increased tire wear and BBQ consumption.

Lone_RT_rider
Yeah, those folks that go to the smokey mountains are a leading cause of increased tire wear and BBQ consumption.

MMmmmmmmm BBQ

20140314_193718-L.jpg

Jerry,

I had a conversation this past weekend with Ken Deline who is rides a bit less aggressively than I do. He stated that he was able to make his last 6K miles. Maybe you might get a bit more out of them than I did. The technician at Wheelers Performance in Robbinsville, NC where I had the new tires put on the bike stated that what he saw with my tires seems to be happening a lot for the Conti's. I still wish you the best of luck.

Sorry if I lead you astray. Getting a new set of tires was not something I expected to do this weekend, that's for sure. For the record, I replaced the Conti's with PR4's.

Shawn

The ContiMotion has a load rating of 54W vs 58W for the OEM fit tyres - including Conti Road-Attack2 which is the tyre Conti specify for the bike.

Andy

JerryMather

Ride Report with Conti- Motion Tires

Just back from a 150 mile ride with a set of these on my Tuono. Very impressive, they felt fine throughout the  day on some very challenging Mt roads in SoCal. In fact all but 40 miles were done in the Mt's at very aggressive speeds and they felt fine. 

No slippage, no drama at all. They don't feel as sticky as the Dunlop Q3's but as a described "Sport Touring" tire with a speed rating of 165 mph I wasn't expecting a super sticky tire nor do I want one.  I'm happy trading the grip for the longer tire wear, which will be determined when this set is done. But the grip was there at all times just not as much as the Dunlops, IMO.

At the price of $170 for a set of tires delivered to my door, I'm a happy camper & recommend these as a cheaper alternative to the others out there right now.

Trust me, I put the bike and the tires to the test today, just as if it was a Trackday and they were fine, using the Aprilia tire pressure recommendations for the bike and  decreasing  the compression settings on both the Ohlins folks and rear shock.

They honestly felt better then I thought they would and were much better than the Pilot Roads that I had on this bike a year ago.

• 3 months later...

So.... I got 3,000 out of the rear before I needed a change due to a 1" cut in the middle of the tire. Without that cut I could have gotten more miles out of them, the sides still had a ton of thread left and I pretty much use them in the twisties.

The front one is still good so I only changed out the rear this time.

Not bad for $176.

Archived