IGNORED

2014 R1200RTWC Aftermarket Seat options

bmwdavid

Has anyone went with a aftermarket seat yet? I am in serious pain after anything over an hours riding. I am thinking about going with Seth Laam.

I am still in shock over this. I'm hoping more riding time will change my mind. My initial reaction after 150 miles is this:

1. The bike seems loud to me. 2. I am experiencing a metallic/slight pinging noise which others are commenting on. 3.The suspension on the bike feels more bouncy than the 09 version. I was hoping for more touring than sport and my wife is not interested after riding on our now gone 2008 Goldwing. 4. The difficulty of setting up helmets with audio is upsetting, have to spend $1100 a helmet. 5. Maybe a good comfortable seat and helmet setup will change my mind.

I am getting severe pain at the top of my Butt at the bottom of my back. Doesn't seem to be back pain. It is severely painful to lift myself up off the seat. Only time I ever had this kind of pain was when I rode a cruiser with the feet forward running boards.

1. The bike seems loud to me.

Do you wear ear plugs? If not, give them a try. Big difference in comfort and any unpleasant mechanical racket goes away.

Pat

I have never tried them. I haven't pulled the trigger on helmets or communications either. There are so many opinions on the best way to put sound in a helmet. Obviously there is the bmw communication plus shuberth helmet but I wonder just how good the sound quality is for that outrageous pricing.

What brand of earplugs are good? Do you wear earplugs with speakers built into helmet?

I didn't know you were referring to simple foam ear plugs. Thought you meant custom molded earbuds that others are always referring to.

I didn't know you were referring to simple foam ear plugs. Thought you meant custom molded earbuds that others are always referring to.

People do say the custom plugs are better but, i'm happy with the cheapies. :)

PS...no shame in liking the new Harleys! :thumbsup:

Pat

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Stock seats suck. A lot. The fabrication of an aftermarket seat includes different, softer, foam in the center so that your sacrum isn't pissed off. Harder foam on the outer edges takes the load from you pelvis.

The Schuberth system is made by Cardo IIRC. Not a fan after one attempt with them.

Buddy rides with a Sena that, supposedly, now has universal bluetooth compatibility. Whatever you select for sound, just make sure there is a good warranty and you can send or bring it back if not compatible.

Funny Pat. Never wanted a harley because of the heat output. The new electraglide ultra limited with the liquid cooling proved to be a nice test ride. I was hoping the new RT was going to be the best and last bike I would ever need. I am still hoping with a comfortable seat it still could be.

I keep hearing about this "pinging". I don't hear it. This is a great bike. The seat sucks, so did the last one. Not something BMW seems to care about. My Bill Mayer seat was shipped Friday. It has to be an improvement. However everything else has been very good. I don't think the perfect motorcycle is out there since humnans are the riders. This bike is great for long distance and extremely fun on curvey roads. Look at the positives not the negatives. I leave Harleys in the dust all the time. I have been on Harleys since the 70s. I would consider a Harley for a look at me bike but I am past that. What I have now will be my touring, fun bike. I do not want a behemouth to lug around. Not stated, I have a 2014 RT.

I was hoping the new RT was going to be the best and last bike I would ever need.

Hehe, I've tried similar word trickery many times and so far, I have a 100% fail rate. Which, is a very good thing if you ask me. ;)

Pat

Yeah me too!!! My wife and friends say it is a sickness I have. Never happy with anything. I need to try harder and stick with this one.

So far, with the longest ride of 260 miles, the seat on my '14 RT is far better then the '89 RT, '97 RT, '05 RT or my '07 GT or '08 GS. I did put a sheep skin on it this week. We will see if I need to go aftermarket as I did on the mentioned bikes. I did hear of a guy in Kansas that is doing good seats.

The guy that I hear is very good is Seth Laam in California.

I've got a Seth Laam seat on my 2011 RT. Between the 2011 and my2007 RT, I've also had Bill Mayer and Sargent seats. All were a significant upgrade ocer stock but I like the Laam seat best.

I think Rick's seat looks great and I like the price BUT, in all this seat excitement you've gotta ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? :grin:

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

r12rtwc.jpg

I had his seat on my 05 RT and it was very good! Not R daylong good, but good. :thumbsup: My transaction with him wasn't a nightmare as some have described but it was a couple weeks longer than promised.

Pat

Archived