IGNORED

Anyone order an aftermarket seat yet?

OzarkR1200RT

Same here... what is it about a custom seat that you like? I've never had one and sure by bum get real sore after 600 miles. What should I be looking for in a custom seat: leather, padding, shape, what? Thanks

Joe Frickin' Friday

I don't know many folks from this site who don't have an aftermarket saddle on their BMW.

Had Corbin on my first RT, and now on my current one. Backrest on both, and heat on this one. Glad I got the heat; it's a nice companion to my Gerbing jacket liner on really cold days.

Russell Day-Long seems to be the weapon of choice for many long-distance riders. I can't get past the style, but I don't doubt that they're comfy for the long haul. My ass doesn't have eyes, so maybe style shouldn't matter so much, but whatever - the Corbin works for me.

Suggestion: show up at one of our events, be sociable and ask to sit on people's bikes so you can find out what different brands of saddles are like. Ten minutes of saddle time doesn't feel the same as six hours, but it's better than nothing.

Best seat I've ever ridden was a Kontour.

YMMV My ridding buddy ordered on and it didn't fit him.

Picking up a Rick Mayer seat in Colorado Springs in Aug that I bought from the classifieds here.

Hope I like it, if I don't it will go back up for sale.

Have owned: Kontour, Corbin, Sargent, RDL.

SteveHebert

I use a Sargent on the R1150RT and a Cornin on my Airhead R75/6. Both are very comfy and serve there own purpose. As Mitch stated, the backrest is the ticket for me on the RT. The slight pressure it provides, along with foot peg lowering kit and bar risers and of course the Elf pegs make this bike extremely comfortable. I bought everything jsed, from the classified on this site and saved a ton.

I just got my seat customized by Bill Mayer Saddles. I did the ride in, but I'm not sure how necessary that is, now that I've done it.

I can't say enough good stuff about the staff at BMS. My experience was excellent. The seat is awesome, and I have yet to have any problems with it. Super comfortable! I'm no iron butt rider, but I've been able to ride as long as I want, and haven't had to stop for a sore rear end.

moshe_levy

I've been testing the hell out of them this year. First BMS, then Touratech, and now Corbin leather. So far, the BMS is my fave, and it's by far the least expensive to boot.

BMS Test BMW ON

The Touratech is for MCN and not been published yet. The Corbin is in process right now.

-MKL

On my 13 RT, I just finished about 3k on my new, week old BMS, and it was great. I got the rear seat done as well and my wife also liked it a lot, claiming it was much more comfortable than the stock. Did one 10 hour day and it was pretty comfortable the whole day. Did the photo and questionnaire routine when ordering.

On my 13 RT, I just finished about 3k on my new, week old BMS, and it was great. I got the rear seat done as well and my wife also liked it a lot, claiming it was much more comfortable than the stock. Did one 10 hour day and it was pretty comfortable the whole day. Did the photo and questionnaire routine when ordering.

Wow, been a while since I've posted but you hit a chord. I started out on a Russell on my R90/6. Very comfy and very well made. Style was okay for that bike. My next BMW, an '85 K100RT, I went with a Corbin after test riding it at 49'er Rally. Been on a Corbin ever since (incl. several Ducati Sport Tourers and my 750 Paso Ltd.). On my '05 R1200RT I did a ride in to Corbin in Hollister, CA. Boy, talk about service and custom fitting! They even bought my wife and I breakfast at their 50's Diner (on site)and shipped my OE seats home, no extra charge. I have Corbin Fiber leather and heat on both seat sections. I have a bad back problem with damaged nerves. I cannot drive our cars (CR-V, G35 Coupe) more than 1 hour without suffering pain down my right hip and leg. On my Corbin equipped BMW, I can go for hours on end w/o much pain at all. My Dealer Tech doesn't like it because it's too hard, but I find that's the secret to comfort, at least for me. I've heard great things about Bill Mayer Saddles, and he's just up the road, but I'm a Corbin fan. :thumbsup:

Archived