IGNORED

OEM windshield polish out small scratches?

Dave P

Hi all, just bought a used stock OEM windshield for my RT. It is in pretty nice shape but has a few small scratches. Is it possible to polish (or sand) out small blemishes?

Could it be as easy as wet sanding with 1500, then 2000 then rubbing compound then polishing compound?

Thanks! Dave

Morning Dave

Yes, no, sort of--

The stock windshield is coated so if you try to polish out minor scratches you will ruin the coating & have a blotchy looking repair.

You can polish off the entire coating but that doesn't always turn out looking optically clear & will scratch very easy from then on even removing bugs.

If the scratches are not in your line of sight then you are probably better off letting them go as is.

Guest Kakugo

If you got a shield for a Hexhead, you are out of luck.

These are made by National Cycle and have a very tough surface treatment: sanding and rubbing would make matters much, much worse.

Best course of action would be to polish it with a specific product as much as possible. You won't get rid of the scratches, but situation will definitely improve.

I suggest All Kleer: 1/3rd the price of Plexus and works well. :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys! guess I dropped this post in the wrong category-intended for it to be in oilheads, which is why I didn't see it on the list. Sorry.

It's a stock oilhead RT shield. I don't really want to open up a can of worms (got plenty of those already- ask my wife!)

I'll check out the all clear. There are a million ideas on this subject I'm learning. D

Hi Dave, I managed to knock my screen over after cleaning it a while ago. (2006 RT) Result a number of small scratches (like pinpricks to the surface). Like you I was hoping to clean them out, but decided against it following advice re coatings, and possible bad results.

Once I've been out for more than a few minutes, especially in any kind of warm weather, they look indistinguishable from bug debris, and from a few feet away whilst parked, they're invisible. As has been said, if they aren't in your line of sight, you'll forget they're there.

West- well I don't think any of the scratches are in my "sight line" since I'm looking over the shield all of the time. I read peoples on-line accounts of windshield scratch repairs and discussing "when I'm looking through it..." puzzles me I guess.

I did have a thought- rather than jumping in with wet sanding, could I apply any sort of clear coating (I've heard the words Mop and Glo before, that seems kinda strange) to sort of "fill in" the scratches?

Just wondering. didn't pay much for the shield so I really don't have a lot to lose here. Bigger fish to fry...

WestyLancs

Dave, I was a little peeved at the time I did it, but now it's

just how my screen is, and I don't even notice it.

Like you, I look over it, all the time.

In the overall scheme of things, it's not even a small issue. :)

Archived