IGNORED

GPS Placement.

bulletbill

dirtrider

Evening Bill

Kind of depends where YOU want it.

Personally I like the GPS right in the middle of the handlebars just behind the key.

You might put "GPS mount" (use the quotes as shown) in the search box a the top of page here as there are many different mounting ideas in the archives here.

Where in Texas and where did you buy 1150. Mine was on trade to dealer and Im curios who bought it

Shiny Side Up

I bought a Techmount that bolts right to the handle bars on the triple tree - comes with longer screws and puts your GPS right in front of the ignition (between the tank and ignition) and still allows you to see the RID. Pretty much a universal mount.

Very adjustable and very strong.

greiffster

Got mine on the "shelf" above the gauges. Its higher than off the handlebars and your eyes don't have to move far from the road to see it as it is in the lower portion of the windshield.

Glenn Reed
Got mine on the "shelf" above the gauges. Its higher than off the handlebars and your eyes don't have to move far from the road to see it as it is in the lower portion of the windshield.

Same here. Keith sold me the Ram Mount hardware to get it on the shelf, and made a great suggestion - put it on the left hand side of the shelf. That way, if you do need to adjust anything while underway, you are not reaching across yourself to get to it with your left (non-throttle) hand.

bulletbill
Where in Texas and where did you buy 1150. Mine was on trade to dealer and Im curios who bought it

Skywagon, I bought my 1150 from a gentleman in Victoria, the clutch and input shaft were out, so we when thru her did all the repairs, added stainless line, pads, cables, etc.

I bought a Techmount that bolts right to the handle bars on the triple tree - comes with longer screws and puts your GPS right in front of the ignition (between the tank and ignition) and still allows you to see the RID. Pretty much a universal mount.

Very adjustable and very strong.

+1

marcopolo

I've got a mount (on my 1200RT) that attaches directly to the top of the clutch fluid reservoir. I then attached a RAM ball to that. Has worked like a charm since I bought the bike in '06.

Thanks....obviously wasn't my old bike then. If you are ever in Houston area, holler. I probably have a few parts (new) from my 1150 RT you can have. Off the top of my head I have a front brake lever, new alternator belt, and an oil filter. I also have the original windshield that has a whopping 900 miles on it. Ive already given away extra pair (new) of engine guards. It's yours for the taking.

Mounting brackets are not difficult to fabricate. I got a 36" piece of 1"x 1/8" aluminum bar at Lowes for about $5 and made a couple in about an hour with just a drill, hacksaw, and file.

For two devices (GPS & GoPro):

IMG_20140501_135602.jpg

For just one:

IMG_20140501_135658.jpg

I'll paint them when I'm satisfied with the layout, etc. The single version would probably be cleaner with the same type of ball as on the double. The RAM bits are available from Amazon, etc. A 36" bar will make eight or nine brackets.

Another alternative, anyway...

Bill_Walker

I use a big tank bag, so the "between the bars" mount my 1150RT had when I bought it didn't work for me. I tried a couple of different above-the-dash shelves, all of which put the GPS too close for my vision and my progressive glasses. I then got a Gadget Guy mount which works perfectly for me.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I have a 1200RT, but I reused the mount that I had on my 1100RT. It positions the GPS just above the clutch reservoir. In my field of view, it ends up right in between the mirror and the instrument cluster:

980533927_u2fRf-L.jpg

2011-05-241-L.jpg

I really like the BMR Shelf.

Puts the GPS (for me) in the perfect location for viewing and programming.

Also, the shelf offers lots of space for other farkles.

BMR Shelf

Intentionally offset slightly to the left for better access with my hand hand. Nothing obscured, same plane as the instruments, but about 6" closer:

P1100070.JPG

Archived