IGNORED

Camelbak alternative

eddd

When riding my dual sport bikes or one of my bicycles I use a Camelbak and they work well. On my ride to and from North meets South last weekend I wore one of my Camelbaks but found that it wasn't the easiest thing to get on and off with my Olympia jacket. There is just too much bulk in the jacket. Looking for an alternative, I came across this system.

Now I needed a way to carry the bottle that would be easy to put on and take off so I order this.

I had a chance to try it out today and I'm very please with the results. At first I was going to pick up a special bottle that I would refill, but I decided to just use a 24 oz. Aquafina bottle. As advertised, the included cap screwed securely on the Aquafina bottle. It is supposed to work on most available bottle water. I carried it slung over my head and hanging off my side. It is so light weight that you are unaware it is there. I did switch out the bite valve for a Camelbak one. The valve that came with the system was a bit hard to use.

It seems that for touring rides this system will work out well.

They make it in gallon size?

Hey, some of us get thirsty.......

For that much water I'd just go with my Camelbak M.U.L.E. That is the one I carry on the dual sport when I'll be out for any length of time.

Ed, I have an integrated hydration bladder in my KLIM. Works great but is a PITA to fill. I think a smaller bladder in the tank bag will be the best solution for me.

I looked at a different brand jacket that had that feature and thought the same thing, too difficult to get to. I also looked for ways to carry something on the bike, like your tank bag idea. It would work well, but my tank bag just won't work, and I really like everything else about it so that's a no go for me.

WestyLancs

I just picked up one of these

Camelback Flashflo

My ancient Camelback Rogue bladder had sprung a leak, and it is a pain to get on and off over shoulder armour.

This unit was cheaper on offer than a replacement reservoir, and straps round my waist. Easy on and off. Just not had chance to try it in anger yet.

I just picked up one of these

Camelback Flashflo

My ancient Camelback Rogue bladder had sprung a leak, and it is a pain to get on and off over shoulder armour.

This unit was cheaper on offer than a replacement reservoir, and straps round my waist. Easy on and off. Just not had chance to try it in anger yet.

That looks like a good system that should work well for use on the bike. Not a bad price either.

I took the large camelback bottle out of the carrier and just lay it just under the top flap on my tank bag. I took a strip of velcro and put one piece on the top of the case and wrapped another around the tube. Presto, I know where it is every time. Now I fill it with ice and water and it stays cool under the cover for hours.

It isn't the cool back-pack configuration, but then I don't have to fight with taking it on and off every stop.

Redneck problem fix-in.

Dan

Archived