IGNORED

Is anyone using the BMW Helmet Communication System with a Schuberth C3?

Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel

If so, how hard was it to install?

I currently have the Schuberth bluetooth, but keep having problems with it keeping a link to the audio system on my 2011 RT, so I am linking it straight to the GPS.

Ideally I would like to be able to hear the GPS, listen to .mp3 music and be able to talk to the Mrs. when she rides with me. I lose the .mp3 with the Mrs riding along.

I am wondering if it would be worth the $$$ and time to switch from the Schuberth bluetooth to the BMW communicator. Or if someone can tell me how to accomplish all three things (GPS, Mrs., .MP3) with the Schuberth I would be very appreciative. :)

My info is from Jan '14 maybe someone has more up to date info on this.

The Schuberth system can't do all the functions you want. BMW paid to have an exclusive system just like Honda and HD does and the point of it is to use that system on that bike.

To use the full BMW system the way you want, you will have to use the BMW Comm system. There was a software upgrade 5-6 months ago that greatly improved music quality and volume and reduced Bluetooth drops. Big improvement.

If you end up getting the BMW system make sure the system you buy is new enough to have it already or that the dealer has the cable to update the software.

Generally speaking, the BMW system is not the sharpest tool in the shed. It uses an archaic battery pack and of the many I installed, (you have to see the install procedure to believe it) I had a couple motherboards go bad and they don't like to be run down in battery power.

Keep the battery pack charged. You don't have to obsess over it but when you are going to use it, charge it. When riders try to sqeak another ride out of a low battery pack the system can lock up. You'll get a green light that won't go out. It just glows.

To "reboot" you have to get into the bag of doom and unplug things then charge the battery to fix it. So, simply keep it charged.

Someone may say that you can use the Sena or Scala system with the bikes music system but to my knowledge, not all the functions will work and that doesn't answer your question.

terryofperry

Blind Squirrel

Which com system are you using for the intercom? I am not understanding the problem if you link the SRC with the GPS. I have the SRC linked to a 660, have GPS, Phone, MP3 from the GPS and Intercom, no problem. I do not lose music with a passenger.

Then again, the only thing I know about the BMW system is to stay away from it. Harsh I know but............

Good luck.

Terry

Blind Squirrel

It may be the way I previously linked my helmet to the GPS. Following the Schuberth instructions, I linked my helmet to the GPS, using the GPS procedure. I linked my helmet to my wife's helmet using the helmet-to-helmet procedure.

When I am alone I get GPS directions through the GPS link, and the .mp3 music from the GPS comes through an A2DP link (that I did not specifically link). When the helmets link, they take up the A2DP channel so I lose my music. I get GPS and my wife.

I had an thought a couple weeks back. I reset the bluetooth collar and the GPS then linked to the GPS using the A2DP link instead of the GPS link. I still get music and GPS directions (even though I have not linked to the GPS using the GPS link). I have not tried adding in my wife's helmet to see if this is what will work.

terryofperry

This is how I do it, may not work for you.

1. Pair the GPS to the Cell Phone using the phone pairing in the GPS Bluetooth settings.

2. Pair the headset, SRC, to the GPS using the audio pairing in the GPS Bluetooth settings.

3. Pair the helmet intercoms to one another, preferably channel "A".

4. At the beginning of the day, turn on the SRC first, then the GPS, don't ask why, I cannot explain it.

I would suggest removing all pairings and starting fresh. Make sure the SRC has the latest firmware, even if the dealer says it does check for yourself. You should be able to listen to music from the GPS SD card this way or through an external device plugged into the SRC.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Will the SRC that is being referred to work on the 2014 1200RT with the Wheel on the handlebar? Thought the volume couldn't be controlled with anything but the BMW system. Also thought only one helmet could be paired.

No, the original question got lost.

The SRC is the Schuberth neck collar system.

It will do some of the functions but NOT the wheel.

Blind Squirrel the install is so uh, complicated it's laughable.

There was a 20 page instruction sheet and a video.

At the end, the video showed a snarl of wires and the helmet in 5 pieces and the narrator says "carefully tuck the wires into the helmet" and the next shot was the helmet with the snarl all neatly tucked in. Poof! It was done with no help on just where to put them.

I would be very interested how much they charge to install. We never charged labor to install any headset if it was purchased from us.

I did all that stuff. Autocom, Scala, BMW, Schuberth.

Blind Squirrel

Thanks everyone.

Sounds like I am between a rock and a hard spot. Stick with the SRC and not be able to get what I am looking for, or go with the BMW communicator that is inferior to the SRC and be faced with a difficult install.

Squirrel

The BMW system battery pack choice is the real issue. BMW chose an old school pack like what used to come in cell phones. It works, but it's heavy.

The SRC like anything is not perfect either. I had 2 fail. Considering the quantity of each system we sold, the failure rate at our shop wasn't terrible. It's going to happen.

The train of thought is, you have the audio system, why not have full use of it ? If you rode solo 100% and had a smart phone with music or GPS with music, then use another headset.

With a passenger having a comm system that works without drama is important. One less thing to go wrong really makes the "us time" better.

I suggest you see if your dealer can get you a deal on the BMW Comm systems. If you bought the bike and the helmets there, and the SRC, only a bonehead dealer would say no.

Again, see if they even would charge for BMW Comm install.

• 1 year later...

Blind Squirrel et. al,

I have a new out-of-the-box BMW Communications System that doesn't appear to work. I haven't installed it into a helmet yet, but I plugged everything together and tried to charge it and check it out.

When plugged in, the yellow light comes on as if it's charging, and stays on at least 20 minutes, then goes off. After that, I try to turn it on and nothing happens -- no sound or lights. If I unplug and plug it back in the yellow light will stay on again for another 20 minutes. Still can't get it to do anything. Any ideas or suggestions?

If it helps I have a 4 year old BMW commuicator that works perfectly but I'm replacing my C3 with a C3 Pro and having a Sena 10C put on it since I'm now riding a GSA instead of a RT. I will gladly have the BMW installer check it out for software updates/condition and ship it to you for $100. PM me if that's something you're interested in.

The issue with my BMW comm system has been resolved. Out of the box, it didn't work. Dealer thought it was the circuit board so we started a warranty return, but it turned out to be the switch / controller. Replaced that with a spare and it's working properly now..

Archived