IGNORED

Is Running Richer Fuel-Mixture O2 Censor Worth It?

Michael B

Michael B

I have an 2011 1200 RT with 34K plus. Some Forum members have recommended running the fuel mixture richer through the O2 censors for better engine performance.

I checked with my Beemer shop who recommended a Power Commander V and would charge around $350. However, when I asked if he would put one on his bike, he honestly (wow!!!) said "Probably not. If original is good enough for BMW, it's good enough for me."

So, those of you mechanical gurus who would know, is the change worth it? Any possible problems you could foresee? Thanks!

dirtrider

Morning Michael B

Power Commanders do work but are a pain to tune correctly. The wide band units are better but still a lot of work.

The 2011 BMW 1200RT's run pretty good as they come so not a lot of gain by adding an aftermarket fuel controller.

I guess if I were going to run something on the 1200RT it would be the AFXIED. You might PM Roger (roger 04 rt ) as he has all the info you will need on the AFXIED.

Michael B

Thanks DR for a good answer. You're right, my RT does run pretty good, so I'll just stick with it. No sense getting complicated. Appreciate it!

I use an AFXIED from Roger and like the smoothness it brings to the bike....and today I replaced the flapper valve with a straight section of 2.5" OD x .120 wall 304 Stainless tubing. (which I sourced myself for $6 instead of the $50 that they sell for through varios vendors) The bike is running better than ever and did not lose any torque, quite the opposite - it is easier to ride everywhere.

I cannot wait to take it on a longer ride (only did 20 miles to test today) and see how she does pulling my Bushtec trailer. Now that the flapper valve is gone, I no longer have any interference with the trailer hitch frame and the valve body.

I figure I can always put the valve back in if needed, but at this point - no way that is gonna happen unless something changes drastically.

DiggerJim
and today I replaced the flapper valve with a straight section of 2.5" OD x .120 wall 304 Stainless tubing. (which I sourced myself for $6 instead of the $50 that they sell for through varios vendors)
Flapper valve? What's that mod?

Disconnecting the cables and replacing the valve with a straight section of stainless tubing. Some say it helps...others say it doesn't. For $6 I am willing to try it. I believe my bike is responding as well as it is because of my richer fuel settings due to the AFXIED I have installed. I am also going to try turning up the settings on that to richen the bike even more and see how it responds.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8166209.html

Archived