IGNORED

Garmin Zumo 590 - Who's buying?

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

Garmin and their dealers will start shipping the new Zumo 590 this week.

Garmin Zumo 590LM

5" screen, off road capable, tracks, etc etc. $799 - which is $100 less than the BMW NAV 5, but still a LOT of money.

Anybody planning to buy?

dirtrider

Afternoon Dave

It does offer a couple of nice features like tire pressure monitoring but I don't see a mount with buttons available like on the Nav5.

To me I won't own a motorcycle GPS without nice big buttons as on-screen touchscreens & riding gloves are big pain, especially at speed.

marcopolo

Well, given that I bought a Nav V a few months ago, I won't be buying the new Zumo. That said, if I were in the market, I'd give the 590 serious consideration (it wuold seem to be the closest thing Garmin's got to the Nav V). Getting back to the Nav V for a minute, I opted for the BMW cradle with the four buttons. I have to say that I really like them (in some ways they remind me of my old 276C).

I actually ordered one today. Put my 660 up for sale. I'm really wanting a bigger screen with more resolution. We will see if it is as good as the early reviews say. Basically a Nav V with some differences. I like the audio input as I can put my mixit output into in and have everything running through the unit.

I'll let you know what I think. I bought the TPM bundle as I don't have TPM now on my 2006 RT.

DaveTheAffable
I actually ordered one today. Put my 660 up for sale. I'm really wanting a bigger screen with more resolution. We will see if it is as good as the early reviews say. Basically a Nav V with some differences. I like the audio input as I can put my mixit output into in and have everything running through the unit.

I'll let you know what I think. I bought the TPM bundle as I don't have TPM now on my 2006 RT.

Excellent! A test victim errr... volunteer.

I'm really close to buying one. I miss my Zumo 550 which gave years of good service, and probably should have just been sent in for repair. But someone I know thought he could repair it at home. (oops... that would be me)

I actually *swore* that I wouldn't buy another garmin unit until it had been out at *least* 2 years (Even though I waited a year to buy the 660, it still wasn't "right" until at least firmware release 4). I decided I was sick of being a beta tester for Garmin.

The 660 did end up being a pretty useful unit. The good reviews and the fact that the BMW NAV V has been out for a while swayed me. I just hope I'm not making a big mistake and selling a very useful GPS for another beta unit....

DaveTheAffable
The good reviews and the fact that the BMW NAV V has been out for a while swayed me. I just hope I'm not making a big mistake and selling a very useful GPS for another beta unit....

I don't think you need to worry. Minor complaints about bluetooth issues, but the core unit seems solid. I think that you/I/we will be ok with either the Nav 5 or the Zumo 590.

Archived