IGNORED

Motorcycle towing insurance

BoisePilot

BoisePilot

I am interested in buying towing insurance for my 2004 R1150rt. My insurance company is State Farm and they do not offer towing on motorcycles. Changing my primary insurance coverage is not an option. I am particularly interested in towing with at least 150 miles or more of coverage. I like to ride remote paved roads and might need a fairly long tow to get to a city of any size. Any suggestions will be appreciated. :wave:

Allstate Roadside Assistance - RV.

Unlimited mileage towing to the nearest qualified service facility - which is a good thing when riding a beemer.

I just joined Allstate Motor Club as well, specifically for the RV ROADHELP plan, which covers motorcycles. They advertise the towing benefit in this particular plan as "unlimited". The fine print describes it as: "Towing at no cost back to the service provider we send or to any destination you choose up to your benefit limit". I guess I won't really know how good that promise is until I try to use it.

The fine print describes it as: "Towing at no cost back to the service provider we send or to any destination you choose up to your benefit limit". I guess I won't really know how good that promise is until I try to use it.
Well, the "benefit limit" is "unlimited" and "to the nearest qualified repair" facility. It's pretty typical in the RV arena that there are long distances involved because not every shop can handle the typical RV.

I do know that Allstate is very customer focused (they use the software apps my company writes) and even if someone down the food chain does something stupid, escalation to Northbrook gets a response.

Dave_in_TX

Like many others, I have the KOA/Allstate Roadhelp but haven't had to use it. I've also heard good things about the Good Sam Club road service which sounds similar to what KOA/Allstate offers.

I just joined Allstate Motor Club as well, specifically for the RV ROADHELP plan, which covers motorcycles. They advertise the towing benefit in this particular plan as "unlimited". The fine print describes it as: "Towing at no cost back to the service provider we send or to any destination you choose up to your benefit limit". I guess I won't really know how good that promise is until I try to use it.

I'm wondering. Say I'm in Colorado and my bike breaks down. Can I really have them tow it back to Illinois (any destination you choose) as the RV Roadside Help plan has an unlimited benefit? They include bikes in their definition of RV.

Seems like there has to be some catch somewhere in there.

Has anyone actually used this program?

Does it work in Canada?

The fine print describes it as: "Towing at no cost back to the service provider we send or to any destination you choose up to your benefit limit". I guess I won't really know how good that promise is until I try to use it.
Well, the "benefit limit" is "unlimited" and "to the nearest qualified repair" facility. It's pretty typical in the RV arena that there are long distances involved because not every shop can handle the typical RV.

I do know that Allstate is very customer focused (they use the software apps my company writes) and even if someone down the food chain does something stupid, escalation to Northbrook gets a response.

Jim,

Depending on which page of their web site you are on, it says two different and conflicting things.

THIS ONE says ** Towing at no cost back to the service provider we send or to any destination you choose up to your benefit limit.

THIS ONE says *Unlimited amount for towing to the nearest service facility and/or on-site labor.

Of course, they are both ads. The only thing that matters is what the policy says.

I am interested in buying towing insurance for my 2004 R1150rt. My insurance company is State Farm and they do not offer towing on motorcycles. Changing my primary insurance coverage is not an option. I am particularly interested in towing with at least 150 miles or more of coverage. I like to ride remote paved roads and might need a fairly long tow to get to a city of any size. Any suggestions will be appreciated. :wave:

I tried to buy MC insurance from State Farm, as they have my other insurance. Their premiums were 3 times that of Progressive. It varies by state. Not sure why you can not change but it may pay to at least look at others.

Jim,

Depending on which page of their web site you are on, it says two different and conflicting things.

THIS ONE says ** Towing at no cost back to the service provider we send or to any destination you choose up to your benefit limit.

THIS ONE says *Unlimited amount for towing to the nearest service facility and/or on-site labor.

Of course, they are both ads. The only thing that matters is what the policy says.

I signed up for the Allstate RV ROADHELP Plan just recently. I received my membership materials this weekend. The Membership guide for the RV ROADHELP Plan adds this footnote to the description of the towing benefit (I'm quoting this verbatim):

"Unlimited benefit is for towing to the nearest service facility and/or for minor on-site labor."

Unless I missed something, this is the only explanation of the towing benefit in the Membership Guide. I guess your fate depends on how they define "nearest service facility". One would hope it means nearest BMW dealer, which could be many miles away.

Before joining, I called Allstate to ask what the towing benefit actually meant in real terms, citing an example of my BMW motorcycle breaking down in some lonely spot miles from a BMW motorcycle dealer. The answer I got was not particularly definitive, but I guess it gave me enough of a warm and fuzzy feeling to lead me to sign up.

I have used the RV Roadhelp when the fuel pump controller went out on my GS. They will tow to the nearest authorized repair facility which in my case was almost 100 miles from outside Huguley, AL to BMW of ATL. They will not tow your bike to your home.

So I just got off the phone with Allstate.

Yes, they will tow you to the nearest BMW dealer..

And they provide coverage in Canada, but will not sell the program to Canadians.

Archived