IGNORED

Pannier lid cords

Over

I'm really fed up with the design of the R1200 RT pannier (saddlebags) and the retaining cords that stop the lid hitting the ground when open.

The gripe is that when the BMW liner bag is full, it often causes the plastic clip that secures the cord into the lid to come off, and then the lid swings open and if it's the side stand side, hits the deck, and scratches the paint on the lid.....

Am I doing it wrong?

Guest Kakugo

No, you are not doing it wrong.

It's a good design... if the bags are not over filled.

You can stop the clip from coming loose by simply taping it in place with duct tape. ;)

IMHO the thing you are doing incorrectly is where you are standing.

The simple solution is to always stand with one leg touching or almost touching the lid when you open the latch. Then there is no uncontrolled drop. If the retaining strap has come loose you can tell it and take corrective action.

Thank you both, and I now stand with my leg against the left hand bag.

It does not help that in the UK the stand is on the left and we drive on the left, and there are kerb stones (sidewalk) so that the lowest part of the bike comes down often where the roadside has been raised.

Going to use heat shrink on the clip if possible, that way I avoid the dreaded gunge of stickiness that tape often leaves... Failing that, duct tape will be applied!!

I always expect mine to break.

'So I do as Hopz suggested.

Then they break.

I stand w/leg up against pannier.

Either way...

:thumbsup:

Listen to the kool aid drinkers making excuses for yet another BMW marginal design bit. The cases aren't terrible but that button bit isn't one of their better points.

OP has it right- it sucks...

Sure you can stand in the way of the lid to catch it but that isn't close to saying its decent design- more like a work around excuse.

Drill the button and bolt it in place with an over sized washer/thin screw or flatten the head with some heat. You can also try twisting the cord 6 or 8 times trying to exert a little side pressure on the button. Or drill small holes on each side of the gap and safety wire it in place.

Of course, with a decent design none of that would be needed.

BMW's own case liner will often disengage the thing whether its full or not..I wish Jesse made cases for the RT and all other BMW road bikes.

DaveTheAffable
OP has it right- it sucks...

Sure you can stand in the way of the lid to catch it but that isn't close to saying its decent design- more like a work around excuse.

Tell us how you feel... but don't hold back this time. :rofl:

Seriously... not my favorite design either, but the "leg block" approach is pretty consistent.

Archived