IGNORED

Shoes!

AndyS

At the end of a long touring day, we like to shower, tidy up a little and head out for a meal. My problem is finding shoes that will have a stiff enough sole that I can walk on gravel without feeling it through the soles. Narrow soles and soft uppers that can pack down flat for stuffing in my case. I don't need super smart, but I would like to avoid garish brightly coloured training shoes. What do you folk do?

JerryMather

Packing shoes with limited space inside my KRS bags is a problem. I've packed a pair of tennis shoes inside in the past but opted for a nice pair of Teva flip flops nowdays because they're ligh weight and much simallar in size when packing them.

Guest Kakugo

Jesus sandals. There are hiking varieties with very thick soles that may just fit the bill and take up very little room.

If I am that in need of a space saver for shoes, I pack my water shoes. Some can just slip on and look similar to sneakers, others ride higher on the foot almost ankle high and lace. They were created for white water rafting and having to get out of the boat to carry on rocks so they do have a bendable but stiff sole.

Men's Water Shoe $12.95 US

UGGs. Expensive as all hell. Worth it. Warm, no pebbles working their way under your toes, packable, washable, durable, breathable, secure enough for light trail hiking. Real comfy.

2246437-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

greiffster

Sperry Top-Siders. They pack flat and never seem to go out of style as I am told. I have no style, so I wouldn't know.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

How about any pair of shoes you have, and like the uppers of, with a sucky sole? Then, take them to a shoe repair guy (cobbler) and have him bond on a thicker sole that won't make you do the Princess and the Pea footwise?

Glenn Reed
Sperry Top-Siders. They pack flat and never seem to go out of style as I am told. I have no style, so I wouldn't know.

Yeah, but you've got one stylish ride! For those who haven't seen him, he's got an 1150 RT in black, and it looks like it just came out of the factory. :)

I dealt with this problem over the years, and my recent answer was a pair of Skechers Go Walk like these in the link. They are the lightest shoes I've ever had, but still protect the feet and are super comfortable from the first moment you slip them on. With the soft uppers they are easy to pack.

I bought them to be my "easy packing bike shoes" until I wore them the first time. I now grab them more often than any of my others for everyday use.

link

JerryMather

I still think $60 for pair of "Skechers Go Walk" shoes is outrageous but with others selling for $200 plus dollars, I guess this is a pretty good price and a pair of good sandals will cost you just as much.

chrisolson

I had the same search for something packable but with a thick enough sole. Not sure of their availability in the UK, but these fit the bill for me. They are very light and squish together well and walking on rocks or gravel is no problem. They also have lace-up if you prefer.

2 up

We can manage to both bring our hiking boots on multi-day trips.

Mine are not small...

Pack smaller.

:wave:

My solution has been to go with a closed toe sandal just like these HERE. They pack well, are comfortable and have a substantial sole.

At the end of a long touring day, we like to shower, tidy up a little and head out for a meal. My problem is finding shoes that will have a stiff enough sole that I can walk on gravel without feeling it through the soles. Narrow soles and soft uppers that can pack down flat for stuffing in my case. I don't need super smart, but I would like to avoid garish brightly coloured training shoes. What do you folk do?

I had the same issue and had been packing flip flops but did no like the look when going out to dinner. I searched for some time and found these! They fit the bill perfectly! They fold totally flat and weigh next to nothing. While they don't look like they would pack flat the heal section flattens right out! These pack up right in my side case liners and feel like slippers!

http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-maui-smooth-boulder?ef_id=UyEePwAABD8UXXfE:20140520025056:s

1702001-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Yep, that's the answer for me. They're reasonably decent looking and can be worn with jeans, shorts . . . whatever. They pack flat and are pretty much "real" shoes, that work for walking on gravel. Get 'em.

• 3 weeks later...

I dealt with this problem over the years, and my recent answer was a pair of Skechers Go Walk like these in the link. They are the lightest shoes I've ever had, but still protect the feet and are super comfortable from the first moment you slip them on. With the soft uppers they are easy to pack.

I bought them to be my "easy packing bike shoes" until I wore them the first time. I now grab them more often than any of my others for everyday use.

link

Because of this thread, I went and looked at the Skechers Go Walk 2 that Eddd recommended. Ended up buying a pair (two notes: they don't come in wide, but they're stretchy enough that as a EE I was comfortable. . .don't know about you EEEE feet: and secondly they run big. . .I'm a size 12 and ended up in a pair of 11.5's). So, I got them home and the first thing the missus and I did was go for a two-mile walk in these brand new shoes!

Well, they're amazing. First they weigh next to nothing. And second, they were supremely cushioned. Found them for $54 at Kohl's and had a 30% coupon to boot. Now I gotta find another one of those coupons because I want a second pair in a different color.

Andy, I don't know how well Skechers are known in the UK, and of course the pricing will be different. But these are incredibly comfortable, pack almost flat, weigh less than the money it takes to buy them, are ventilated, will dry easily if gotten wet, and can be worn with or without socks. A Winner!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Came across these Timberland Radler's and thought they might fit the bill.

They fold and zip closed.

They certainly are different. They don't take up less space, just a different shape to the space they use.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Merrell Jungle Moc. They've got a range of color/style variations, but they fit the OP's specs: gravel-proof sole, soft upper, unflashy styling. Comfortable: I take them on moto trips, and they've been my only pair of shoes for three (non-moto) trips to Japan that involved a lot of walking.

They can be found at REI here in the US. Not sure where to look in UK, but if you have something like REI (a camping/outdoor gear store), that'd be a good candidate.

• 3 months later...

Archived