IGNORED

I did a DS thing.

Augie

I really scuffed up the side case and abraded the lid almost to the point where I wore a hole right through it.

SO I feathered out the offending area and filled it in, Sanded off the paint from the rest of the cover, Primed it, Wet sanded it, painted it polished it and repainted it, then I shot it with clear. The finish now looks like crap what did I do wrong?

This would work a lot better if you had pictures for people to see, as well as names of the products you used (such as filler and type of paint) etc.

Also, since this is not a completed DIY project, you're probably going to get a lot more help if this thread were moved to the Bike Related forum. I'll take care of that for you.

What you did wrong was ...well you know! I have seen side cases painted with the truck bed liner that hides all! I cant tell you which one to use but I would like to know since the factory finish is very scuffable!

The steps you listed sound generally right, but we need more details (and preferably pictures) to understand the problem before we can offer suggestions. At what point did the repair start to look like crap?

Maybe it started out that way...

14178198694_92ce3c673a_n.jpg

No, but some coffe drinkers will...

I'd take the bag by a pro shop and ask some questions there.

The cases are on a midnight blue 2013RT. The paint is from Colorite in Pennsylvania. (The only place I could find with a colormatch).I bought the full kit from them,all in rattle cans.(primer,color and urethane clear)

What happened the case latch was not locked and it popped open, The was a scuff about the size of 2 or 3 silver dollars and almost abraded through the cover.

I filled it in with filler, sanded and smoothed out so there was no defects, It was primed 2 coats wet sanded, shot with a layer of color, wet sanded and shot with color again. After doing some digging I should have just let the paint flash dry instead of fully curing. and as far as I can tell the paint was perfect before the clear. The clearcoat was also fully cured between applications. The clearcoat has like a pebble finish and is not smooth. Those should have been just flash dried as well.

Archived