IGNORED

BMW stock radio external source

Perk1975

in 2005 I thought the stock radio was a good idea..... Now I am not convinced, I would like it much more if it had an external input to it. The only way I can do it now is to use an FM transmiter. Has anyone come up with a good work around for this?

Perk -

Can you explain in a little more detail what you're trying to do? I have a 2012 RT and I 'turned off' the built in speakers and instead, wired in a lead so I could have the sound come to my helmet.

Also, the radio has an external adaptor for USB or an iPod type device, if that's what you're looking for.

Jim

I didn't know the radio has an external adaptor for USB/ipod device. How do you get at that? If it truly is that simply I will be happy, but feel like a bit a fool. Nothing new! :)

My goal is to be able to play an external source through the existing speakers.

I have an '06 RT with the "radio". It comes with a CD player. There's no other input source that I'm aware of.

So I found the owners manual on line for the 2007 version of the radio owners manual

That has a cable for an external source, mine does not have that. Anyone installed it after the fact? Lots of plastic to take off to remove the radio, so I would like to have a solid plan before I start.

Perk,

The link you have is the same one I used. I have a Starcom 1 digital comm system. I used the information in that link to tie the rear speaker output into my comms. While the plastic was off, I installed the aux cable (bought at teh dealer for a decent nickle) and routed it up the forward edge into the CD compartment. Set up like this I can use either iPad or MP3, as well as adjust output and volume from the handle bar controls.

Works perfectly!

Just and option.

Dan

On my bike, the connector for the USB or iPod is in the glove box. If your radio doesn't have this, I'm sure its just a (expensive) connector to the radio. Check one of the online part fiche sites and you should be able to find the connector.

Jim

Archived