IGNORED

tall riders

Perk1975

I broke another bracket on my windscreen. (2005 BMW 1200RT) Yes I have a Cee Baily windscreen so I know I am putting extra stress on it. But as a tall rider it is really the only way I can get a nice clean pocket of air. What do others do? I replaced the top brackets with high strength ones, but this time the bottom bracket broke.

I will get high get high strength ones for those as well

link

But I am concerned about what will break next. So I am thinking I may need to find another solution.

Maybe upgrade helments to something super quiet and install a helment sound system? Something like the the schuberth CP2 with the SRC sound system?? That along with a new bluetooth gps/sat radio?

Thoughts from other tall riders?

Thanks I sent a note to him via his website to ask if his have had better luck with not breaking the brackets.

Have you tried a Laminar Lip?

What is your goal?

No air, like barn door?

Sometimes clean air from a lower screen works well.

I don't mind some air. With the cee baily's up only an inch or two I was able to ride at hwy speeds with my visor open but not looking through the wind screen. It was quite nice, but that may be a bit too much too ask.

I saw more than a few bracket issues w/CBis tall screens.

I have avoided using that approach.

Check out the Laminar Lip.

It allows you to use a shorter screen and moves the air higher.

Otherwise I'd say go for a low screen and enjopy the clean air.

Best wishes.

You don't mention what helmets you currently use, or how tall you are.

I'm 6' 4" and have ridden the 1200RT quite a bit. It may be the design of the screen your using. I sold the Cee Baily until the Z Technik came out.

Take a look at the Z Technik site. The tall screen for the RT is "only" 2 inches taller than stock at 28" but the screen gets very wide at the top 26" in fact. It also has a slight upturn giving it a bigger push thru the air.

They also have a "test ride" program to make sure your happy with it.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/results2.html?search_model=bm-066

On my old crusty 1100RT I have the medium Z Technik screen with a Shoei 3/4 helmet and it's almost car-like. I currently use the Scala G9 for GPS app, iTunes, and take the occasional call from my iPhone.

For rider-passenger, I use Autocom and a wire for iTunes.

As mentioned, The Laminar Lip is a good product to push the wind up and over as well. Sold a bunch of them.

Sorry, I am 6'4" as well. As for helment, I had a Scorpion but the mechanism has fallen apart on it so I am currently using my old HJC. I never needed a really quiet helment with the CB windscreen. I do a lot of hwy riding in trafic (riding to work)so the air is rarely clean.

My thought is to go back to the old screen with a laminar lip and a new helment. And eventually a new gps/radio set up. I will probably do it in steps. First the lower bracket, and laminar lip.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I have a. Cee Bailey higher and wider and it's on my second RT 1200, have done around 20,000 miles and have it just high enough to stop buffeting.

I can rider with outer visor up and inner visor down, Schuberth C3 but following an incident with a wasp which got into the helmet I often have outer visor down at speeds over 30mph

My top brackets broke twice so I replaced them and they have been fine since. The issue now is the bottom bracket has broken. I am going to replace it with a stronger one but I am a bit concerned that something else will break (whatever the next weekest point is)

Archived