IGNORED

Help with ZUMO 550 and MP3's

Bud

So I loaded some songs onto the Zumo and then, because of lack of memory, loaded some more on the SD Card.

The Zumo only recognizes the ones on the unit, not the ones on the card. What have I done wrong?

TIA for right answers.

:wave:

Move all the music on to your SD card and it should fix your problem. Been working for me years.

Load the music through the GPS to the SD card, this will setup the file directory on the SD card.

Move all the music on to your SD card and it should fix your problem. Been working for me years.

Load the music through the GPS to the SD card, this will setup the file directory on the SD card.

Not sure how to do that. Do you mean have the GPS connected to the computer and have the SD card in the GPS?

Or something else?

Not sure how to do that. Do you mean have the GPS connected to the computer and have the SD card in the GPS?

That would be correct.

Also received this from Garmin in response to a question I asked:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be glad to help you.

I will include the MP3 chart and the capability of the different devices in a link below. The Zumo 660 will read up to 2000 songs in total whether loaded to the device or the SD card. However for the Zumo 660 we do not recommend any cards larger than 8 GB as the larger cards may cause issues with the device reading some of the files from the card.

FAQ article for MP3 files:

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/simpleCase.htm?caseId={a03da620-e588-11dc-d6fc-000000000000}&kbName=garmin

Afternoon Bud

First, put the SD card in your computer & see if that will play the MP3 on the card. (make sure it is playing in MP3 format)

Make darn sure they are in MP3 format & not some other format.

If you put a LOT of MP3 (singles) on the card it can take a long time to load (if a lot of singles up to 10 minutes or more). If you suspect this put the individual MP3 into organizing sub folders.

I just have my MP3 on the card in subfolders (not in the Garmin directory) & it finds them just fine without having a special directory.

The zumo 550 will only recognize about 1000 songs total so if you put more than that on the card you can take some of your more common albums & combine the entire album into one long song that is then counted as only 1 song.

If you have an SD card larger than 8gb then all bets are off as some Zumo 550's won't deal with anything larger, especially if you don't have the latest firmware on the Zumo.

My suggestion is to ONLY put 5 songs on the SD card until you get it working as that way it will load very quickly. Maybe you just weren’t waiting long enough for it to load if you have a lot of single songs loaded (my Z-550 loads quickly but I have all my MP3 songs in sub albums)

Afternoon Bud

First, put the SD card in your computer & see if that will play the MP3 on the card. (make sure it is playing in MP3 format) Yes they play on the pc.

Make darn sure they are in MP3 format & not some other format. They are all MP3's

If you put a LOT of MP3 (singles) on the card it can take a long time to load (if a lot of singles up to 10 minutes or more). If you suspect this put the individual MP3 into organizing sub folders. I created a sub folder named "My Songs" put one song in it from the pc. Put the card back into the Garmin and turned it on. It did't find that one song. The songs I copied onto the SD card while in the Garmin and attached to the computer all show and play. But, as you know, copying songs that way takes forever.

I just have my MP3 on the card in subfolders (not in the Garmin directory) & it finds them just fine without having a special directory.

The zumo 550 will only recognize about 1000 songs total so if you put more than that on the card you can take some of your more common albums & combine the entire album into one long song that is then counted as only 1 song.

If you have an SD card larger than 8gb my card is 4 gbthen all bets are off as some Zumo 550's won't deal with anything larger, especially if you don't have the latest firmware on the Zumo.

My suggestion is to ONLY put 5 songs on the SD card until you get it working as that way it will load very quickly. Maybe you just weren’t waiting long enough for it to load if you have a lot of single songs loaded (my Z-550 loads quickly but I have all my MP3 songs in sub albums)

Sorry Bud, I didn't reply earlier, was out riding for the first time in a month.

I have on my SD card (8GB) a folder labeled "Music" and I just simple copy MP3's into it, then play them back in the Zumo 550. It has been such a long time, that I forgot how I did it. This procedure also worked on my previous 2GB SD card.

I hope this helps.

fairly simple after you have done it a couple of times. Create a folder on your SD card. I call mine MP3Music. You must record your music in MP3 format whether from CD or download. Windows will allow you to format in MP3.

I do mine by plugging the SD card directly to my PC and downloading or copying direct to SD card. After you are done, plug the SD card into your Zumo. Go to the player, select source, pick SD Card and life will be good. I have about 600 songs on my card and there is never a delay or issue.

Plug your Zumo into your PC, see the home drive....find those MP3 files. I suggest you delete from Zumo direct as it has very little storage.

Same thing for maps...when you go map upgrades, do it to the SD card, not the Zumo or you will be limited on what you can download.

clip--I created a sub folder named "My Songs" put one song in it from the pc. Put the card back into the Garmin and turned it on. It did't find that one song. The songs I copied onto the SD card while in the Garmin and attached to the computer all show and play. But, as you know, copying songs that way takes forever.[/color]

Afternoon Bud

I can drag & drop an MP3 into my SD card & it finds it just fine.

Can you load one song through the Zumo (like you did) then drag & drop another into that same folder (with SD in computer slot).

Then right click on one, then the other, MP3 then left click on "details" & see if the one it can't find says "protected" or some other attribute detail difference?

Thanks for all replies.

I've got a lot of other things to do before I leave for the RA Rally at Barber Motorsport complex in Birmingham.

Will work more on this when I come home.

Archived