IGNORED

Do occasional riders (<3000 miles/year) really need Klim or Stitch quality?

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

We both need new riding gear. I've bought used Stitches in the past and love them 'til they shrunk during the off season.

Looking for waterproof w/o having to put in a liner, good safety gear and something less than $1,200 per rider.

TIA

As long as the protection is good (we gear up for the worst case scenario, after all), I think there are quite a few good choices out there for gear. Some jacket brands that I like are Olympia, FirstGear, and Rev'it. They provide very good protection, good quality, and are not terribly expensive. I think they all have models that are waterproof on the outside. I have been very happy with my FirstGear Kilimanjaro Hi-viz yellow. I'm not too familiar with pants that are waterproof without a liner, but I am sure there are some.

If you have a "Cycle Gear" store near you, thats a pretty good place to find something that suits your needs. Or do another used aerostich. I bought mine and my wives off ebay 1/4 the price and we love them.

John, you need the best gear you can afford, regardless of the mileage you ride. You don't get a second chance. in the event you need your gear, you make it or you don't often based on the quality of the protection you put on that morning. You don't get to call Time Out halfway ass over tea kettle and go home to put on your "good" gear before coming back to resume your flight. You did the right thing before you climbed aboard, or you didn't.

Additionally, I'm finding that some insurance companies charge MORE if riders claim fewer than 5000 miles per year. Seems they have data that shows that at about 5000 MPY, you maintain a higher level of skill, reflexes and awareness, which all help reduce your chances of being in an accident. At the 3000 miles you claim, you may be in that pool of riders whose skills and abilities fade between rides or are not being maintained as acutely as they would otherwise.

John Ranalletta

Thanks for the replies. I'm still wearing the BMW suit I bought 10+ years ago. There's nothing wrong with it other than it's getting ratty and I never had a liner; so rain always meant stopping to gear up in a downpour.

fourteenfour

look at the materials used, look to forums to see how people like the other brands, and then make the decision. Expensive doesn't mean its better, good marketing will make people convinced that their expenditure no matter how high is justified.

I too have ten year old gear, it works fine. Occasional wash and air dry for repeated use.

Antimatter

As an anecdote, I spent top dollar on a one-piece leather suit for track days. I'm short and fat, so I had to pay to have someone actually make a suit to fit rather than buying off the rack. Fast forward to 2010 and I had a crash at roughly 100 mph going into a corner. At no time, while I was sliding along, did I regret how much I spent on my suit. Rather, my thoughts were "Sh!t! Leather rocks!".

The takeaway for me is that good gear is worth every penny when things go badly. And the cost of good gear pales in comparison to medical co-pays, missed work, and discomfort. That said, good gear that fits properly is better than great gear that doesn't, because fit is integral to having the padding and abrasion protection work properly.

If a 'stich or Klim fits you, is comfortable, and fulfills the needs you have, buy it. I'd argue that having the right gear is even more important than having the right bike. And cost-wise of the two (bike and gear), even the best gear is cheaper most of the time.

John -

After our trip I am in the market for some new gear too. I'd like to ratchet up the riding a bit, and I'm thinking I can approve on the Darien. It's tough, but heavy and uncomfortable. Let me know what catches your eye.

John Ranalletta

Started by ordering a pair of RS Taichi RSS006 Drymaster Riding Shoes.

Taichi_Drymaster_Boa_Shoes_Black-Red_detail_1_600.jpg

Next up is likely a new Arai from Service Pavillion.

Got the Givi mounted on the GS and kinda' thinking we might head to Moscow, ID. Will make decision tonight and register if so. That puts some pressure on getting ready soon.

russell_bynum

Gear lasts a really long time unless it's out in the sun. Buy the good stuff and keep it for a long time.

Dealing with the "shrinks during off-season" issues will have multiple positive effects in addition to not having to buy new gear.

Rogue_Trader

Second the thought on quality...you'll never be sorry from a safety OR long-term value standpoint.

Personally, I have been sorry I didn't invest more and get the BMW gear, any time I tried something lesser. BMW makes top notch stuff, IMO.

John, you need the best gear you can afford, regardless of the mileage you ride.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. There are deals to be found, if you're patient. Last week, I scored an Alpinestars Gore Tex Frontier jacket for half-off its original $699 price, on clearance. I was in the market for a waterproof, breathable jacket (tired of futzing around with separate rain gear and still filling my gloves with water), and figured on having to spend around $500. Ended up with an even better jacket for less. Figure out what you really want for your gear, then check all the gear shops for closeouts. If you're patient, the deals are out there.

Dress for the crash, not the ride.

Someone here told me that years ago.

Seems like it is advice that stands up to the test of time.

I suspect that the 'stich didn't shrink, but that the rider expanded.

An accident can happen in 1 mile.

That said, I live in Georgia, and summer heat is so intolerable that an RT is virtually unrideable without mesh fabric. A deer hit me 7 years ago. I went down and slid at least 100 feet on pavement. My Aerostich CTL boots held up, and First Gear mesh jacket and pants were shredded, but I had absolutely no road rash. My only injury (other than a few bruises) was a broken little finger. I rode to Alaska with the same First Gear mesh clothing (which came with waterproof liners), and never experienced any leakage in the rain.

Safety gear is only effective when you wear it, and I wouldn't be able to tolerate a 'stich in SE summer heat. A 'stich is repairable, but mesh gear should be considered disposable.

xbubblehead

I really don't need my Audi S4 to get to work but damn its nice to drive. lol

There are so many choices out there that it really comes down to your preferences. I just replaced my Stitch jacket with Klim because of the fit and quality. Plus I lost 75lbs over the winter. IMHO, Stitch needs to get some young designers in there to spruce up their esthetics. But many companies (ie Dainese, REV'IT, and Tour Master - which has been good for me in the past) are making quality products at a decent cost. I prefer to get the best I can afford for longevity, comfort and versatility. I just do my research for the gear that fits my needs first because cost doesn’t always equal quality.

Plus look for sales at the end of summer!

Might want to consider whether you really want those low shoes for most riding- not much lower leg protection there.

There are plenty of way to keep your feet cool and movable with better protection.

As much as I also like low stuff, I stick with better protection.

I discovered Klim offers a 30% discount and free shipping on all of their gear to Military (active or retired). Still expensive but it is definitely a top tier brand.

xbubblehead
I discovered Klim offers a 30% discount and free shipping on all of their gear to Military (active or retired). Still expensive but it is definitely a top tier brand.

Why thank you mr. 5336G and welcome.

Archived