IGNORED

Road flares, safety triangle, or what

blackyam

Hi, everyone. What would you use for safety if you had to stop on the side of the road, say to plug a tire? Would you use road flares, a safety triangle, or what? What do you carry on your bike that's not too bulky, yet is effective? Thanks in advance.

---John.

I carry 6 road flares in the bottom of my bag on my R12RT along with my tire repair kit, Slime air pump and my first aid kit.

I would rely on my four way flashers, but if you wanted something additional flashing bicycle safety lights are small, light, and bright.

I made a safety triangle from reflective tape, stuck inside the lid of my (home-made) top case. It's highly visible, and takes up no space:

Edited%2520-%2520P1030381.JPG

This

LED Flare

It is seriously bright and doesn't have any perchlorates! That's the bad mojo in flares.

That one is a good size, but others that might look similar are much bigger. We used some on a trail basis with the fire department, and the ones we used were maybe 8" in diameter and 4" high. They were also a bit heavy to keep from being affected by passing traffic. Those were OK on the fire truck where we had room in a compartment. Just be sure to check the sizes and weight.

Evening John

I guess I'm in the Or What crowd.

No way would I lay on the side of a road to plug a tire without a blocking car or truck angled behind me.

Just too many drivers fixate on flashing lights or parked vehicles & drive right into them. You see it on the news about every other night.

For a quick roadside stop (where I can keep an eye on approaching traffic) I usually just use the emergency flashers or even a flashing turn signal.

For anything more I wait for a blocking vehicle or nurse the bike to a safer place to work.

areyouolsen

I like that! Good idea!

I made a safety triangle from reflective tape, stuck inside the lid of my (home-made) top case. It's highly visible, and takes up no space:

Edited%2520-%2520P1030381.JPG

I carry one like this wearable strobe.

strobe.jpg

that can be placed anywhere or actually worn.

Works great in fog/dark/rain.

I also carry small programmable bicycle red light LEDs.

It can be placed or worn.

Combined with 4 way flashers, retroreflective on bike and gear,

I have a lot of options w/very little additional weight/space.

Caveat is as pointed out, some drivers fixate.

I have 2 like in Tim's photo. Had them on the life jackets: ARC C strobe.

Never thought of throwing one on the bike.

Great idea! Thanks Tim

Thanks for all the responses. I really like the battery-operated strobe options. D.R., you make a good point about fixation. I'll keep that in mind. It's scary out there.

---John.

Archived