IGNORED

Think they'll move over now?

Rougarou

You know, if it's that big of a problem where you hope they can read small print like that, you would be better served by a headlight modulator if legal in your state.

Now THAT works especially of you run low beam then hit the modulated high beam(s) as you approach.

Michaelr11
You know, if it's that big of a problem where you hope they can read small print like that, you would be better served by a headlight modulator if legal in your state.

Federal law - headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states. Provided that the modulator meets the federal code requirements.

Federal law - headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states. Provided that the modulator meets the federal code requirements.

Though, that doesn't make them any less annoying. :grin:

Some idiots won't move over for a 18 Wheeler tucked up to their backsides so good luck with your efforts....just be legal in getting around them or you'll just be mistaken for another idiot.

I think it will work great. The driver will be concentrating on the mirror and just drift off to the side. Not sure which side that might be, but they will be out of your way.

Though, that doesn't make them any less annoying. :grin:

I don't run one but I have noticed that when I see a bike with one, I see it a lot further away. They do make a bike more visible.

Afternoon Living the Dream

I seriously doubt that will work in your favor.

First off, you will need to slow down long enough behind them to get the leading driver to even read it (that might take a very long time), that is (IF) you could even get them to look in their mirror.

Then you need to hope that they think they are slower traffic (most think they are going fast enough as they are in the L/H fast lane).

Then, (IF) you ever get them to notice, (AND) get them to think they are slower traffic, (AND) get them to decide to move over (that will take a while as obviously they have no situational awareness), (then) they will have to look in all the mirrors, look over their shoulder, then ease over only after they find a large enough hole to do so.

By this time I would be around them on the right & mile farther down the road without the fuss & muss & extra time.

Personally I just let sleeping dogs lie & ride around the sleeping dog.

Afternoon Living the Dream

I seriously doubt that will work in your favor.

First off, you will need to slow down long enough behind them to get the leading driver to even read it (that might take a very long time), that is (IF) you could even get them to look in their mirror.

Then you need to hope that they think they are slower traffic (most think they are going fast enough as they are in the L/H fast lane).

Then, (IF) you ever get them to notice, (AND) get them to think they are slower traffic, (AND) get them to decide to move over (that will take a while as obviously they have no situational awareness), (then) they will have to look in all the mirrors, look over their shoulder, then ease over only after they find a large enough hole to do so.

By this time I would be around them on the right & mile farther down the road without the fuss & muss & extra time.

Personally I just let sleeping dogs lie & ride around the sleeping dog.

+1

Passing on the right is never a good idea, might be illegal, and it's something I avoid whenever possible. When stuck behind someone going "too slowly" in the left lane, I flash my lights a few times, wait a few moments, and then when I figure I'm being ignored, (it's a risk), I pass on the right. Not a perfect solution, but I can't find anything else that works. I used to use headlight modulators, and they MIGHT work better than just flashing the headlight, but not significantly better in my experience. Let's face it, poor drivers are poor drivers whether you and I are in n 18 wheeler or riding a motorcycle. :(

Morning Deek

Not illegal to pass on the right anywhere I have been in the US as long as it isn't posted to not do so & legal to ride to their right.

Obviously it is illegal on a single lane road or other places where there is no legal lane on the right. (on these I just pass left). But we are talking LEFT lane divers here so single lane stuff doesn't apply.

The problem with your method is it requires you to slow down & diddle with unpredictable drivers then follow someone that is going too slow.

That also means about dozen drivers shoot around your right then you have to deal with that when you finally need to go right around the slow driver.

You flash your lights at some drivers & you get a brake check, flash at other drivers & you get ignored, flash at a few & you get a gun stuck out their window.

I zip around those slow drivers so fast that even if they tried to hit me they couldn't get over in time. (plus I watch their front tire as that always leads their move)

My long time philosophy on motorcycle survival is I really don't want to deal with unpredictable auto drivers, especially if I add to their unpredictable behavior when they start to do something stupid, (THEN) see me, then do something even more stupid than they were doing.

Right wrong or indifferent, like I said above, I just let sleeping dogs lie & simply ride around them.

You are correct-- poor drivers are poor drivers & I don't want to be behind them or beside them for longer than necessary.

Archived