IGNORED

Locked my key inside side case...

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

I swore it would never happen to me.

It did.

Stopped at a friends, threw a lot of loose stuff in my helmet bag, and closed the locked side case.... with the key in it.

No... I don't have the plastic key.

No... never got a second key.

Yes... 2nd key on order and will be at dealer Wednesday.

I was only 35 minutes late to work after I got a ride home from my friend, and drove the cage.

Arrrgh.. :dopeslap:

It did.

Stopped at a friends, threw a lot of loose stuff in my helmet bag, and closed the locked side case.... with the key in it.

I was only 35 minutes late to work after I got a ride home from my friend, and drove the cage.

I never lock a case with it open and never heard of doing that.

DaveTheAffable
I never lock a case with it open and never heard of doing that.

Well... I've given you a new experience...LOL.

There is a reason I have kind of gotten in that habit;

At work, I get off bike and leave left side case open, but locked. I take my personal stuff, and some clothes into a locker room and leave them there. On my way to office... 200 feet away... I drop off a couple of items back into the side case (which is already locked) and simply close it up knowing my keys and other personals are in the locker room.

Today, I stopped in driveway at friends home. I pulled helmet bag out, locked side case but left it open and empty. I went in and saw friend, returned and tossed bag with a few items and KEY into side case, and closed it. Stupid. Never again.

It would be nice if there was a mechanism that PREVENTED the lock from being locked while case is open, but it's really no different than the trunk of a car.

You have. I will never do that. I do have a spare key, but it is at home. I did have the plastic key, but it broke in my wallet. I guess getting replacement plastic or real keys is expensive?

My ridding buddy bought a new 2014 HD Street Glide. Started it up, rode to town, shut it off, went and had coffee and then, when he tried to start it again realized the key fob was in his garage and the bike won't start w/o it. :grin:

My ridding buddy bought a new 2014 HD Street Glide. Started it up, rode to town, shut it off, went and had coffee and then, when he tried to start it again realized the key fob was in his garage and the bike won't start w/o it. :grin:

Ah! The benefits of modern high tech conveniences. :dopeslap:

My ridding buddy bought a new 2014 HD Street Glide. Started it up, rode to town, shut it off, went and had coffee and then, when he tried to start it again realized the key fob was in his garage and the bike won't start w/o it.

Then he must not be very observant ;) For the above reason just about every keyless system I've ever heard of will display a warning to the driver if the fob is out of range, including HD I would expect because that function is especially important on motorcycles. Or maybe they left out the 10-cent warning light but if so that would be really bad.

I've locked myself out of my truck a couple of times. Thank technology for OnStar. And having them on speed dial on my cell phone.

On the Harley it can be bypassed with the right code sequence in the radio. One of my riding buddies rides an Ultra Classic. Lost his fob somehow while riding. After stopping for gas...whoops. Called his dealer and they talked him through the unlock series.

DaveTheAffable
You have. I will never do that. I do have a spare key, but it is at home. I did have the plastic key, but it broke in my wallet. I guess getting replacement plastic or real keys is expensive?

Yup.... about $60 a key.... and a multi day wait while it comes from GNW. (God Knows Where)

:wave:

It did.

Didn't know that was even possible! How did you do that?

I take a spare ignition/case key with me on my old dogtags when I tour, but don't bother for local riding...I think I'll start taking my dogtags even on the local riding now!

BoisePilot

I use the low tech method of using a zip tie to hold a spare key on the frame somewhere behind the plastic out of sight where I can get it without a key or tools. When I travel with friends we exchange spare keys. So far in 36 years I have not needed either method. I know this is simple advise but simple is what I do best. :dopeslap:

I use the low tech method of using a zip tie to hold a spare key on the frame somewhere behind the plastic out of sight where I can get it without a key or tools. When I travel with friends we exchange spare keys. So far in 36 years I have not needed either method. I know this is simple advise but simple is what I do best. :dopeslap:

CONTEST TIME!

First one to find the key on BoisePilot's bike wins a 2004 R1150RT! :grin:

I did the same thing as BoisePilot. With regard to theft, I'm not sure if my R1100RT would have been in danger if I left the key lying on the seat. :grin:

Glenn Reed

The guy I bought my first R1100RT from had taped a spare key to the inside of one of the mirror housings. Thus, if he really needed it, he could just pop off the mirror and there it was.

Glenn Reed
Never thought it possible but some of the solutions show utter brilliance in the simplicity.

Are you calling (some of) us simple?!? :rofl: or brilliant?

The guy I bought my first R1100RT from had taped a spare key to the inside of one of the mirror housings. Thus, if he really needed it, he could just pop off the mirror and there it was.

I used that place on my R1100RT. I've only had to resort to the hidden key one time, but it was with my truck. It was in the gas station when I was filling up. I stepped up on my nerf bar to clean the windshield and bumped the locking switch with my body. No problem...I've got a spare key.

It had been so long since I hid the key I couldn't remember front or back, right side or left side. I spent several minutes crawling around trying to find it. :dopeslap:

CONTEST TIME!

Well, if it is like mine, it is behind the black plastic triangle held on with a zip tie! :thumbsup:

greiffster
CONTEST TIME!

I've got spare keys on the bike and all of the cars. I usually use the magnetic key lockers. I can barely find them when I need to, and I know where they are. :dopeslap:

BoisePilot

Why would anyone want to steal my old 2004rt? With all the super cool new motorcycles out there I figure I am protected by poverty. :rofl:

PS I have to really look for the key to occasionally verify it is still there so I don't worry about someone finding it by chance. :lurk:

Thanks for the laugh. :thumbsup:

Why would anyone want to steal my old 2004rt? With all the super cool new motorcycles out there I figure I am protected by poverty. :rofl:

PS I have to really look for the key to occasionally verify it is still there so I don't worry about someone finding it by chance. :lurk:

Thanks for the laugh. :thumbsup:

Are you saying I did't win the bike????? :wave::grin:

when I had my 1150RT I seem to accidentally store it just above the license plate where you unlock the top box....when I couldn't find my key I knew where it was. After a whil I just put one of the little slim metal wallet keys in there and just left it. Nobody every bothered to take it.

Glenn Reed

One time my bike was being serviced at the dealer, but I was not going to pick it up during business hours. I paid them over the phone, and they asked how I wanted to deal with the key. I just told them to put it in that secret hiding place under the rear rack. The guy sounded confused, so I added, "you know, where we put the key in to unlock the rear seat?"

He just laughed and said he would take care of it.

Bike was right where it was supposed to be when I stopped by to lick it up later. :)

DaveTheAffable
It takes a special kind of brilliance to figure out how to do that. Congratulations! :P

if that comment was meant for me, thank you!

There is only one thing I work harder at than being stupid, and that is being affable.

:grin:

I ordered my new key at Irv Seavers in Southern California on late Friday afternoon, and the dealership had it this morning(They're closed on Mondays).

So, all is well that ends well.

One time my bike was being serviced at the dealer, but I was not going to pick it up during business hours. I paid them over the phone, and they asked how I wanted to deal with the key. I just told them to put it in that secret hiding place under the rear rack. The guy sounded confused, so I added, "you know, where we put the key in to unlock the rear seat?"

He just laughed and said he would take care of it.

Bike was right where it was supposed to be when I stopped by to lick it up later. :)

That's where I usually find it when I can't find it anywhere else. Funny on how easy it is to forget where it was last.

But then again, the joke in our house is: "Nancy, where is my chainsaw?" Her reply "Can't you hear it running?" :grin:

Archived