IGNORED

So what am I doing wrong.

Bud

Having seen a couple of recent threads with pics of rear tires with > 15,000 miles, I'm beginning to think I'm doing something wrong.

Anyone want to tell me how to get that kind of mileage from a PR3 rear tire on a 99 RT????? :S:S

szurszewski
Having seen a couple of recent threads with pics of rear tires with > 15,000 miles, I'm beginning to think I'm doing something wrong.

Anyone want to tell me how to get that kind of mileage from a PR3 rear tire on a 99 RT????? :S:S

Sure - move to state with relatively non abrasive pavement, use a lot of air, ride slowly, accelerate (both positively and negatively, for you science folks) gradually, don't put a lot of weight on your bike (don't ride two up, don't pull a trailer :) , don't pack too much beer....).

You know, basically, don't have any fun with your bike - that's what I do, and I pretty much get that kind of mileage. On the other hand, even if you have a shop do it, what does a tire change cost? $400 bucks? So, over 14000 miles, for $400 more you probably get to have like ten times more fun.

Anyone want to tell me how to get that kind of mileage from a PR3 rear tire on a 99 RT?????

Morning Bud

Sure-- just ride on wet smooth grass at 10 mph & never use your brakes.

Or another suggestion is to just do everything the opposite of what I do. If I ever got 10K on a motorcycle tire I would probably pee down my leg. Then sell my bike as I wouldn't be riding it hard enough to warrant owning a motorcycle.

Sure - move to state with relatively non abrasive pavement. . .

That pretty much nails it. Tire mileages are irrelevant, unless compared to same bike, same rider, same roads. There must be 20 diferent asphalt formulas out there that states, counties, even cities can choose from. Ever notice the change in pavement when you get to a "County Line" sign? Some are more abrasive. Others less. In some places it rains more than other places (lower speeds and reduced cornering wear). In other places its hottern'ell (can cause greater wear). Whatever, when comparing mileages claimed by other motorcyclists, you are almost always in an apples-and-oranges situation.

Sure - move to state with relatively non abrasive pavement. . .

That pretty much nails it. Tire mileages are irrelevant, unless compared to same bike, same rider, same roads. There must be 20 diferent asphalt formulas out there that states, counties, even cities can choose from. Ever notice the change in pavement when you get to a "County Line" sign? Some are more abrasive. Others less. In some places it rains more than other places (lower speeds and reduced cornering wear). In other places its hottern'ell (can cause greater wear). Whatever, when comparing mileages claimed by other motorcyclists, you are almost always in an apples-and-oranges situation.

...and then there is wind. DAMHIK

The only time I really noticed the effect of road surface was in OR. I was on the way to the MOA rally in Redmond. I swear they use volcanic rock on the road surface. But I gotta admit, the traction on corners was fantastic! But you could actually see the tire wear away.

I mount and balance my own tires as I own a Beemer and you know the cheapest thing on the bike is the nut holding the bars. :grin:

But my fun to mile ratio is very, very high. :thumbsup:

Suspect it has to do more with commute versus hard riding than anything else. I ride my bike pretty hard when those kind of roads present themselves, however on any given ride I would say 80% is straight and level and 20% aggressive to the point I scare myself.... I typically get about 15k out of a set of Michelins and I take them off early. If you flip that ratio and 80% is aggressive and 20% is straight and level, it would probably be something else.....

Now the big but...My 2014 came with Conti tires. At 4000 miles they are almost worn out. Same kind of streets, same kind of pressures, less aggressive riding as have been careful with new bike so far.

I never ride two up, don't tow, always have the full bags on with tools - gear-etc,and take an occasional trip where I might add 30-40lbs of baggage.

For mileage....inflation is your friend.

greiffster

There must be 20 diferent asphalt formulas out there that states, counties, even cities can choose from. Ever notice the change in pavement when you get to a "County Line" sign? Some are more abrasive. Others less...

Way more than 20. And then there is the aggregate used in the asphalt mix. The "slag" mixes depending on where you live or ride can be extremely abrasive. Most of the state DOT's have a surface mix that will go down on top of the binder course. It is usually pretty smooth with finer aggregates. Many of the county roads don't utilize a surface course, or it is the same as the binder and pretty rough. Then of course there is the tar and chip crap, the likes we saw on some of the roads at the START '14. Those will just flat chew up tires.

Archived