IGNORED

Swap my PR3s before the UN?

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

I've got about 5400 miles on the PR3s on my R1150RT. They look pretty good. But this is my first set of PR3s, so I have no idea how many miles to expect from them, and I'll put at least 3000 miles on them for the UN. I hate to leave tread unused, but I hate even more running out of tread in mid-trip. I've got a new set on hand. But if I swap them, I probably won't swap the old ones back on, because I'm not equipped to do the swap myself (I have Mitch's mojostand and mojolever, but apparently I'm just not strong enough to change the rear tire by myself).

As a data point, I got a little over 6K out of my previous rear tire, a PR2. How much longer do the PR3s last?

change em out Bill...why chance it? Keep the old ones for when you run these out- then finish off the current ones when you dont have a major trip looming...

Oh, and buy a No-Mar......

Have fun at the Un....wish we were gonna make it, but not this year.

Change them. You're going to spend how much to go to this event? Enjoy every mile and don't worry.

WestyLancs

+1 on swap.

Just gone through a similar thought process with my PR2s.

Off to Germany in a couple of days, usually get 10,000 miles per pair, and currently have 6,000 on them.

My thinking was this - 1500 miles to hotel and back, plus a week of

riding in the Black Forest, of unknown distance, and unknown road surfaces. Probably won't wear them out, but may just do....

Got the part worn ones in the garage now, for later in the year, and absolutely NO worry about tire wear whilst on the trip.

Based on my experience with the PR3 on my R1100RT I would typically get 10K out of the rear and a little more out of the front. I never ran them down to the very end, but they do not go from OK to cords in a few miles like the Metzler Z6. But...

You were getting only 6000 out of the PR2, and I would get a consistant 10K on the rear and 14K on the front with PR2. Based on your own figures and my experience it looks very unlikely that you will make it all the way home.

Of course an option is to figure on a replacement when you are in Idaho.

Bill_Walker

Thanks, guys. You're all confirming what I was thinking, but was hoping for a good reason to be wrong.

Bill_Walker
Oh, and buy a No-Mar......

Have fun at the Un....wish we were gonna make it, but not this year.

I would if I had the space for one, but I really have no place to keep it.

Bummer you're not going to make it.

FWIW (different bike, but largely used for Sport touring), my experience with PR3s was disappointing, to say the least. Previously, I had two sets of PR2s, both of which lasted 10K miles. My PR3s only lasted 6000 miles on the front, and 8,000 miles for the rear. Same religiously-checked pressures, same riding style. I went back to a PR2 for the front (this was before the PR4 was released), and went with a brand-new PR4 on the rear. Both seem to be wearing more like the original PR2s.

So, to make a short story long, I would recommend swapping out the PR3s.

FWIW.

Bill_Walker

Well, it seems my memory is rather faulty. The last (only?) time I used the mojostand on a rear tire (and gave up on it) must have been with my V-Strom, because today I discovered my mojostand shaft has too big a diameter for my 1150RT wheel! And of course, it was Monday, when all the shops were closed, and I'm short of time before departure. After some research, I picked up a bead breaker and heavy-duty zip ties at Harbor Freight, and then used the zip-tie method of tire demounting and mounting. It's time-consuming, and hard work, but it's cheap and it works! The front tire was much easier, since it fit on the stand, but I still used zip ties to help with mounting.

Atta boy, Bill. Hard work is the American way. See you in Idaho. I'll be the one admiring your new tires.

Lone_RT_rider
Thanks, guys. You're all confirming what I was thinking, but was hoping for a good reason to be wrong.

SDC12597-XL.jpg

Bill_Walker

SDC12597-XL.jpg

That one's further gone than mine was, by a fair amount. Sorry, no time to post a pic, I'm just about to hit the road.

Archived