IGNORED

Which model of Hannigan sidecar is this?

szurszewski

That looks a lot like a circa 2006.

We did several sidecar additions for customers around the mid 00's.

Do not recall "Model".

Maybe the "classic?"

szurszewski

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking maybe the classic as well.

Most of them look a lot a like :S I didn't post the pic, but from the back, this one most looks like the current Astro 2+2, but it clearly only has a single wide seat. Perhaps they used to make a "regular" Astro...

I'm looking at used sidecars, and I found one exactly like the above that's missing the windshield and a couple of other things. Trying to find out how much to replace the parts without having to call Hannigan and say, Hi - I have a sidecar that needs some parts; I have no idea which model it is...

(The seller took it on trade, doesn't know much about it...etc.)

josh

szurszewski

With the suggestion above, I began google image searching. Pretty sure it's a Hannigan Astro Sport, just in case anyone finds this thread and has a similar question.

Sample pic:

asrosport1150rt.jpg

Side shot of rig in question:

00k0k_3dMs38giJ8b_600x450.jpg

Those look pretty much the same, don't they? Minus the probably really expensive and hard to ship if I can find it anyway windshield, right?

:eek:

• 1 month later...
szurszewski

Finally replying to this - thanks again for your thoughts earlier.

It has all the hack side hookup hardware. I could have acquired it with the bike side parts for a 1200lt, but I did not as I'm planning to marry it to my RT. It is missing a few bits and pieces - windshield for one, headlight cover, looks to be missing some moulding (which actually I think looks terrible on there anyway), and, I think, the latch/handle for the clamshell type opening. It does have the hard top, some extra trim for a windshield, a Steer Lite kit that most likely will not work with my bike, and some other parts.

I figure the price I paid for the car and the time it took to get it to my house is going to be a small down payment on the final toll in dollars and hours/weeks/months. ...but, projects are fun, right?

First step: find time to call Hannigan and figure out exactly what I have and what I need to get to make it complete and compatible with my bike!

Wish me luck!

josh

I have seen occasional photos of RT's with a sidecar. I have considered it myself... but I haven't a clue what you would attach it to since the motor IS the lower frame... not bolted to a metal frame like older airhead models.

Anyone know how they would attach to a R1100RT or R1150RT?

szurszewski
I have seen occasional photos of RT's with a sidecar. I have considered it myself... but I haven't a clue what you would attach it to since the motor IS the lower frame... not bolted to a metal frame like older airhead models.

Anyone know how they would attach to a R1100RT or R1150RT?

Hey - someone asked a question I can answer! A rare and exciting occasion.

To attach to those bikes, and many other modern bikes with similar design where there really isn't a frame in the traditional sense, a subframe is created that attaches to various points on the engine and other points on the bike (center or sidestand mounting points, footpeg mounting points, etc.) and then has points of its own to mate to whatever is coming off the sidecar.

DMC, for instance, makes one for the 1100 and 1150 RT for around $800 bucks. I believe Hannigan may make, or may have in the past anyway made, such a thing as well but I haven't had time to research that much yet. If you google around you will also find that folks make their own (though not folks like me).

Archived