IGNORED

Recommendations? Bead breaker

doc47

I've been looking at the Motion Pro aluminum bead breakers to carry in my kit. Pricy little devils! Has anyone use them?

Any recommendations for alternatives?

The plastic Bead Popper they make just doesn't cut it.

areyouolsen

I just bought a couple aluminum bead breakers and a tire spoon at Cycle Gear. They were cheap and work well. Relatively heavy, but they live in my garage, so it doesn't matter. I use them once a year, so it wasn't worth it to me to pay that kind of money for a lightly-used tool that's easily replaced.

The upside of Motion Pro is that they're small and lightweight, but I can't see a reason to carry them with me unless you have tubed tires.

Morning doc47

You really shouldn't need to carry a bead breaker in your bikes with tubeless tires as those can be repaired without removing the tire.

On tube type tires a very good bead breaker is the side stand of another bike. Just lay your wheel/tire on the ground (or on a coat if you want) & use the side stand of another bike to break the bead. (I have done this a number of times with my off-road riding)

If you are by yourself you can still use your own side stand on the lighter bikes. You just need to get something under the rear swing arm to take the place of the removed rear wheel.

Bead breakers that work are usually not light & adding more weight to a bike (especially high up) is something I try to avoid if at all possible.

The side-stand idea sounds good. I have tubed tires on my F650GS/Dakar. Always used plugs on the RT but this is a whole different kettle of....bagels.

Olsen, looks like the ones you bought are Motion Pro. Maybe we have different standards but $80 isn't inexpensive to me! Or did you find something less expensive?

One thing you can do to help when the time comes on the road or trail is to remove the wheels now and break the beads at home. I've had a few bike where the tire seems like it is welded to the rim because it has been on there for so long, but once I break it free it is much easier the next time.

I found that I can sometimes break the bead with just the heel of my boot. I've also used a tire spoon wedged between the rim and tire to work the tire down to where the bead will break. As you gain a little slip another tool next to the rim or on the tire so you can make more progress. I would try this first if there wasn't another bike there with a side stand.

I'm not going to say these steps will work everytime for everyone, but they have worked every time for me. (I think I just cursed myself. :P )

Archived