IGNORED

iPhone GPS help - using GPX files

szurszewski

szurszewski

Hey all -

I'm not a big GPS user, but sometimes I will use my iPhone for this purpose on my bike. When I want to create a route, I lay it out in google maps, save it to "my maps" and then run that data through gpsvisualizer.com to get a gpx file, which I then import to an app called MotionX GPS .

I have no idea really how all that works, but it does. I'd like to have a few of the Un routes available on my phone, but importing the gpx files so nicely provided here only gets me start and end points with roughly straight lines drawn between them.

So, my question is, is there something else I can do to make them work with MotionX, or is there another app I can load to use those files? Normally this is the sort of thing I'd have fun googling around about, but I've been super busy the last two weeks and departure for the Un is looming. Any suggestions appreciated!

thanks,

josh

I was a big user of Motion X as well until I tried to re-route in a non cell coverage area and realized it's a no go, even if you have the maps downloaded to your phone. But...to try to answer your question, it looks like what you're downloading is a track instead of a route. I'd try importing into Basecamp on a pc or mac, then making sure it's a route before re-exporting as a gpx file, then import into Motion X.

I gave up and bought a new Garmin 590 GPS, it's pretty slick and connects to the iPhone nicely for several features. Good luck.

With the motion x app, do you get the turn by turn directions over bluetooth? I know you say it doesn't work without cell coverage, but for $2 I'm ok with that. I always keep a paper map with me just in case.

szurszewski
I was a big user of Motion X as well until I tried to re-route in a non cell coverage area and realized it's a no go, even if you have the maps downloaded to your phone. But...to try to answer your question, it looks like what you're downloading is a track instead of a route. I'd try importing into Basecamp on a pc or mac, then making sure it's a route before re-exporting as a gpx file, then import into Motion X.

I gave up and bought a new Garmin 590 GPS, it's pretty slick and connects to the iPhone nicely for several features. Good luck.

I do have Basecamp, so I will try that. I've tried to figure out the difference between a track and a route as used in GPS speak, but I seem to find conflicting definitions. I do understand what you mean though - so thanks for the tip - I'll post back if it works out.

josh

szurszewski
With the motion x app, do you get the turn by turn directions over bluetooth? I know you say it doesn't work without cell coverage, but for $2 I'm ok with that. I always keep a paper map with me just in case.

I don't think that it does - I've never tried to use it for that. In fact, I've never tried to use it to give me any sort of directions at all. I use it much like you would use a paper map on which you've highlighted your route. Which is to say, I look down at it from time to time to see where it is I'm going; the only real added benefits are that it also tells me exactly where I am and how fast I'm going.

I have also used it to track data while doing hikes or riding my bicycles (keeps track of distance and elevation changes too, which is kind of fun to see after a good hilly ride or hike). They do make another product called GPS Drive - or something like that. I'm sure it does turn by turn...bluetooth might depend on your bluetooth device.

I like Motion X over just my phone's nav because I can plot the route ahead, and I can also download the maps for the tracks (routes?) I want to follow. Oh - it also has a feature where you can have it post your location to the web so your friends/family can see where you are (only when there is cell coverage though). I thought my wife might like that, but she doesn't really seem to care - my mom on the other hand thinks it's the coolest thing (of course, she doesn't really get the way google maps satellite images work - once she said she'd followed me online to my hotel one night, but couldn't find my bike in the image of the parking lot...I know what you're thinking - but she's probably younger than most people on this forum :dopeslap: ).

Download the PocketEarth. It uses OpenStreetMap (OSM) data

You do need an internet connection for loading maps and creating routes but everything else can then be done offline

I run it on an iPod touch when on the motorbike and on an iPad for planning. The .gpx files can be exported if desired into Mapsource/Basecamp

Archived