IGNORED

Cheap rusty chrome cleaner

Boffin

Last week a bloke I work with gave me a tip for cleaning rusty exhausts - I needed to clean up a pipe on a bike I am selling. I usually use Solvol Autosol, but did not have any to hand - and there are no Harley dealers near me ;)

He said to use aluminium foil and water. Said it worked well and kept the rust at bay for weeks.

So, today I tried it out - and was gobsmacked. Just kitchen foil and tap water, nothing else. The rust melted away, leaving gleaming chrome - apart from one or two places where the pitting had merged, and they were black, not orange.

The foil was left with a dull, grey finish - I think/ it works by reducing the rust and converting the aluminium into aluminium hydroxide. Whatever, it was quick, easy and dirt cheap (like me)

Andy

Joe Frickin' Friday
I think it works by reducing the rust and converting the aluminium into aluminium hydroxide.

That was my guess, too. I think you made a galvanic cell:

Corros1.gif

"Aluminum alloys" is further to the right than steel. Presumably you could also use zinc, beryllium, or magnesium, if you could get your hands on some foil made of it (or maybe a handful of powder?), but aluminum foil is pretty convenient.

FWIW, one blend of thermite is composed of iron oxide and aluminum powder.

I am not sure - it has worked on steel screws and the galvanised inside of a headlamp shell.

Andy

You might also try Bar Keeper's Friend. Honestly, I haven't tried it on the bike, but it does wonders for chrome and stainless stuff on my piece of crap boat. Oxalic acid is the key ingredient, I believe. Pretty much everybody carries it.

Just ran out and tried the aluminum foil and water (didn't have any cider handy) on my RT exhaust and it worked great. Cleaned up some rust at the exhaust tip. Thanks for the suggestion!

Archived