IGNORED

Looking for alternate for rear storage

curlesw

I am looking for an alternate to the BMW hard case 49L rear case (large box) due to the weight of the box itself. I would like a flat "shelf" to sit on top of the rear tail which I could then place a couple of waterproof bags upon while using a backrest for the passenger. (For 2005 R1200RT)

Does anyone know of a source for such a shelf that would be compatible with a rear backrest? I can find them for other models, just not the RT.

Thanks.

v/r

Wayne C.

Never see one, but RCU makes a rear rack/shelf for the 800 twins that has plenty of holes where I bet you could adapt with the included hardware or some discreetly placed U bolts. Here's the link.

http://www.rcudesigns.com/ecommerce_077.htm

As far as the backrest goes, the Bakup backrest would go on the luggage rack first, then the RCU rear rack/shelf could be mounted I bet.

http://www.bakupusa.com/bmw_models.html

Again, you may have to notch or open up a hole or two but this is about as close as I know of to get you where you want to go.

Please don't use "pricey" or "spendy" after checking this out. Your asking for a two horned unicorn here you may have to spend some money to get what you're asking for.

Good luck.

Looks to me as though a couple of 20L waterproof duffel type bags would go on top of the panniers and strap to the grab rails

Here in the UK these bags are only about $8 each and they go all the way up to 60L

www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html#a356

Thanks guys. I realize I'm looking for a unique solution set; I may have to modify a soolution made for a differnet model...at least I won't be starting from scratch.

v/r

Wayne C.

John Bentall

The Givi cases are lighter then the BMW original (well, that would include almost everything!). I do not see it as a big issue because the use of an inner bag means that the case only has to be removed for cleaning.

I am a confirmed top case guy - the panniers sit in cardboard boxes in the garage and only get mounted for holidays.

Here is my set-up with T-bags Universal Helmet Bag. I also have a Cortech Tail Bag on the rear seat. This set-up has served me well. (raccoon tail is optional!)

100_2198_zps01c6900b.jpg

Archived