IGNORED

garmin viago for iOS/android $0.99

UberXY

Garmin put up a GPS app recently for $0.99. I haven't fooled with it much yet but so far the price is right. It has a la carte upgrades allowing you can upgrade to the features that you want, though I haven't checked the prices. My GPS needs are pretty simple (get me from here to there), but maybe you GPS power users can check this out and give us a review.

Garnin Viago

The 99 cent app gets you almost Google Maps. For all the features they show you have to buy separate options - all at $10 a clip and some require that you have also bought one of the other features. So to get downloaded maps & real voice directions and the building/turn feature that's $30 plus real-time traffic is another 10. $50 gets me something useful but if I want all the features listed on the linked page it's over $100 - then we're into real GPS territory.

When I'm using my phone for a GPS (like when I'm on business & renting a car - does anyone really pay extra for Hertz NeverLost?) I use Google Maps (I have unlimited data). If I'm somewhere with poor cell connectivity I use CoPilot GPS which cost me $10 and downloads the maps to the phone. I like Google's spoken search for directions (OK GOOGLE "directions to the Statue of Liberty"). Makes it easy to go without taking my eyes off the road. Can't do that even with $100 of options with the new Garmin app. Gonna wait for updates & maybe price drops of all the options before I bail on what I've got.

Archived