IGNORED

Cee Bailey Windshield Height

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

(not a "do you like/dislike Cee Bailey" post)

I've read enough, heard enough, that I have ordered a Cee Bailey windscreen for my 2010 RT.

I enjoy being able to adjust my stock windscreen low on hot days here in Southern California. I am only 5'9" and in the highest position it seems PLENTY high, just not much of an air pocket. Because of that, I ordered the "stock" height Cee Bailey, not the +2". I know it's a few inches wider, and I'm expecting the reverse curve at top to be an improvement over the oem. I didn't want to lose low adjustment cooling too much, but improve higher end comfort.

Any one here, of similar height (5'9") who chose the stock height Cee Bailey and will share their experience?

Thanks!

Mrs. Caddis

I got the stock ht windshield about a month ago. I feel I have improved noise reduction with the Cee Bailey. There was not any other good choice at the stock height!

I just installed a reg height Cee Bailey in Lt. Gray on my 2011 R1200RT. It actually measured one inch taller than the stock I took off. One item I noticed was the mounting tabs on the sides are not as flush on the top portion as the stock windshield The curve is different. Haven't gone for a ride yet. Only installed it this morning.

I'm only 5'7", and my first Cee Bailey was a #2, standard cut, +2.5", which felt way too low for my tastes, so I sent it back, and exchanged for a +4.5, which was too high. Acrylic is very easy to cut and polish, so I cut it down about 1", removing more from the center than the sides, so it's almost a Euro cut, +2.6. This feels just about perfect, and I've put ~40,000 miles on it.

I like a screen height that, at its lowest position, lets me look over the top and see the bumper and rear wheels of a car ahead of me in slow traffic, and is just below the horizon line when cresting a steep mountain road. On flat ground at highway speeds, raising it about 1" still allows me to see over the screen, but greatly reduces wind noise.

After 40,000 miles, the old screen is starting to get a little pitted from road grit, although it has no serious scratches, so I ordered a #2, Euro cut, +3.5" over Memorial Day weekend, when they had the free shipping offer. I haven't unpacked it yet, so I don't know if it will have less distortion from the complex curve in the upper section.

For those considering a Cee Bailey, the height is a midline measurement from the top of the air slot at the base of the screen to the top of the screen, something that they don't make clear on their web site. If you have a stock screen, this will let you estimate exactly how much of an increase (if any) you want.

After I fit the new screen, I plan to put the old one up for sale in classifieds.

i am also 5'9" and have been using the stock height cee bailey screen on my 2012 RT for the past year

For me the screen is superior to the one that came on the bike. In the low position I have more air then I did with the original and in all positions the airflow is less turbulent. My original plan was to use this screen in the summer only but found it to be so much better that I left it on last winter.

tuck

DaveTheAffable

Thank you all.... This is the kind of input I was looking for.

As soon as I install, and test ride, I'll post my findings too.

Affably,

:wave:

I finally got round to mounting my new Cee Bailey today. The +3.5" #2 Euro Cut is almost the same height as my modified 2008 #2 standard cut, but is shorter in the middle, which greatly improves sight lines. Surprisingly, they have changed the shape significantly; the new screen is ~1/2" wider at the bottom, but about 1" narrower at the top. I haven't taken it up to interstate speeds yet, but up to 55, it feels like it might have a tad less turbulence.

Alignment of the new screen is not quite as good as with the earlier one, and I had to hog out two of the holes on the right side to obtain approximately the same clearance between the bottom of the screen and the fairing on both sides.

DaveTheAffable
(not a "do you like/dislike Cee Bailey" post)

I've read enough, heard enough, that I have ordered a Cee Bailey windscreen for my 2010 RT.

I enjoy being able to adjust my stock windscreen low on hot days here in Southern California. I am only 5'9" and in the highest position it seems PLENTY high, just not much of an air pocket. Because of that, I ordered the "stock" height Cee Bailey, not the +2". I know it's a few inches wider, and I'm expecting the reverse curve at top to be an improvement over the oem. I didn't want to lose low adjustment cooling too much, but improve higher end comfort.

Any one here, of similar height (5'9") who chose the stock height Cee Bailey and will share their experience?

Thanks!

I received my Cee Bailey "Stock" windshield for my 2010 R1200RT today. Quick delivery. Ordered by telephone, and customer service was great.

Install was quick and easy. Everything lined up perfectly.

Ride Impression - At the lowest setting, I still get an acceptable (and wanted) amount of fresh air just below my chin and upper chest, but it's "softer" than the stock shield.

At an upper setting still below my eyes (but not maxed out), I can see the entire road well over the top. The reduction in wind and noise compared to the OEM shield is SIGNIFICANT for me. What little bit of spill over there is all around feels, again, "softer".

For a brief minute I thought I should have gotten the +2", but reminded myself it was a cool day today, and if it were 2" higher at the lowest setting I would lose most of the airflow I seek on a warmer day.

I think I made a good decision for me, and am a happy guy!

Archived