IGNORED

Sena SMH10 "universal" or standard boom?

Hypeman

I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Sena SMH10 kit, but can't decide which version to put in my Shoei Neotec. Should I go with the standard boom mic that's part the clamp, or the "universal" version with the stick on mic that plugs to the base?

It seems like the later of the two could be mounted behind the cheek pad for a little cleaner install and easier on/off of the helmet when lowering the face on the modular's face/chin guard.

Any advice from owners of one vs other?

I've put dozens of headsets in helmets. Mainly Autocom and Scala.

Scala recently came out with a headset like the Sena Universal (the latter of the two) these are great for modular, yes.

With the other, you pull the mic clear, lower the helmet, then scoop the mic under the chin bar.

The universal, the thin wire snakes up inside the helmet from the box, yes, you stick the round sticky pad behind the cheek pad. It becomes part of the helmet. Much better.

Tips:

Wipe the exterior and interior of the helmet with alcohol to provide a clean surface for the double stick and Velcro to stick. (Including ear pockets)

Before you stick the round disc, test fit to make sure the mic wand is long enough to wrap around your cheek and end right at your mouth opening.

Use extra "fuzzy" Velcro to cover the skinny wire where it enters the helmet to prevent it from catching on things. Let the two sided tape cure for a while after applying before you start moving the mic too much.

If the speakers are spaced too far from your ear opening causing low volume, use extra Velcro back to back (fuzzy and crunchy) to make small shims to put behind the speakers to get them closer to the ear opening.

Paul In Australia
I'm looking to pull the trigger on a Sena SMH10 kit, but can't decide which version to put in my Shoei Neotec. Should I go with the standard boom mic that's part the clamp, or the "universal" version with the stick on mic that plugs to the base?

It seems like the later of the two could be mounted behind the cheek pad for a little cleaner install and easier on/off of the helmet when lowering the face on the modular's face/chin guard.

Any advice from owners of one vs other?

I have had both. Universal one is much preferable IMHO. Cleaner install and much easier on and off helmet action.

regards

Paul in Australia,

You were able to use the little stick on mic in a flip front Neotech? Where did you run the wire and was it long enough to open the face?

I tried the little stick on with my neotec. I couldn't make it work very well. If I pinned it to the side, people couldnt hear me. If I pinned it to the moveable chin bar, the wire was always in the way. I went back to the boom which takes a little getting use to when you on/off the helmet, but for me the boom works way better with the Neotec.

Skywagon,

You're describing the wired mic. Very thin wire attached to the small mic. This is designed for a full face helmet. Yes, the modular helmet would eventually chomp the thin wire in two.

The universal set we're describing, is sometimes called a hybrid mic because it has a thin wire to get it inside the helmet, and then a two sided tape fixing point or base to go behind the cheek pad. The flexible boom portion coming out of this base can then wrap around the cheek to the riders mouth.

I think it's fairly new, so perhaps an older Sena wouldn't have this mic in the kit.

Previously, I think they came with the small full face mic and the hard to position boom type.

Scala only recently started coming with this hybrid type.

Nope...we are talking about the same thing. Looking at the ops link on original post. Mine was bought in April 2014. doesn't work well behind the cheek pad in my experience.

DaveTheAffable

I bought the SMH-10R and like it a lot.

The long thin wire thing is a no-go on a flip helmet.

I use the boom mic, without a foam windscreen, inside my Schubert C3 and the audio quality is excellent. Friends are amazed I'm "on a bike" when I call them.

I use the boom mic, without a foam windscreen, inside my Schubert C3 and the audio quality is excellent. Friends are amazed I'm "on a bike" when I call them.

I'm going to switch helmets next month (assuming they actually ship the C3 Pro in Hi-Viz) and was going to experiment with the glue-on mount and the wire mic attached to the cheekpad by my mouth just before the part that lifts up starts. The Sena guy at Americade said he's been doing that with C3/C3 Pro wearers and it's been great. Otherwise I'll use the boom mic like I am on my current helmet.

Any issues in running the wires in the channels that the neck roll padding locks into?

TIA

Yeah, I have the flip helmet with the wire. I don't really use the flip up. But, if I did, I have enough slack in the wire that it won't pull it apart if you lift it up. It's really not ideal, but I didn't know if the boom mic would work with the flips.

I was able to get all the wires in the right place on the neotec and get the button mic exactly where he described....however people on the other end just said it was noisy and they couldn't hear me. I moved it to the center of the flip chin bar for improvement, but didn't help much and the wire was in the way. I used the boom mic and now people tell me they can't tell I'm on the bike..... Give it a try. It only takes about 5 minutes to change if you don't like it. If you do like the button mic then all is good.

Mrs. Caddis

I didn't know if the boom mic would work with the flips.

We use the boom mic with our Nolan flip up helmets. I have no problem with it. Just move it slightly, put the helmet on, adjust the mic in front of my mouth and flip the helmet closed.

I've put dozens of headsets in helmets. Mainly Autocom and Scala.

Scala recently came out with a headset like the Sena Universal (the latter of the two) these are great for modular, yes.

With the other, you pull the mic clear, lower the helmet, then scoop the mic under the chin bar.

The universal, the thin wire snakes up inside the helmet from the box, yes, you stick the round sticky pad behind the cheek pad. It becomes part of the helmet. Much better.

Tips:

Wipe the exterior and interior of the helmet with alcohol to provide a clean surface for the double stick and Velcro to stick. (Including ear pockets)

Before you stick the round disc, test fit to make sure the mic wand is long enough to wrap around your cheek and end right at your mouth opening.

Use extra "fuzzy" Velcro to cover the skinny wire where it enters the helmet to prevent it from catching on things. Let the two sided tape cure for a while after applying before you start moving the mic too much.

If the speakers are spaced too far from your ear opening causing low volume, use extra Velcro back to back (fuzzy and crunchy) to make small shims to put behind the speakers to get them closer to the ear opening.

Wow! Great, useful post!! :thumbsup:

Archived