IGNORED

What would you wear?

JaySc

With the arrival of a new (to me) bike, I'm taking the opportunity to re-evaluate parts of my riding. I feel as though my level of riding gear is not really adequate, but I am perplexed as to how to make it right. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I'm a student and use the bike primarily for commuting. A few times a week I ride across town (no more than 15 miles one way), and I ride to campus Monday-Friday. The ride is no more than three miles one way, and depending on traffic I typically don't exceed 35 or 40 MPH. Some backs road, some are more populated.

So here's my issue: I've been wearing (aside from my helmet of course) a heavy leather jacket, closed toed shoes, and whatever pants the day calls for. I feel like I should be wearing moto specific pants and boots, but is that overkill for my commute? This would mean taking pants and shoes every day, then going inside and changing, and potentially going back to the bike if I don't have room in my bag for pants and boots that day.

Haven't been down on a motorcycle "yet" (if you're in that camp), but I've been down on a road bike around 35 before, so I'm quite familiar with what happens at the speeds I'm typically traveling around. Planning on getting more gear for the days that I'm out and about in town (and so that I can look at traveling longer distances), but I'm really curious to know what you folks would do on a daily basis in my shoes.

I've even thought about picking up some light weight leather shoes for daily wear, as surely even that would be better than New Balances. Am I off base there?

Thanks for any input!

Firefight911

First off, let's dispel with any thoughts that the gear you wear is dependent on the type of travel (long distance versus commute), speed (town or freeway), and potential hazards (urban versus rural). Crashes happen in all environments and they all have the potential to harm.

OK, now on to your question; based on what you are stating I would have a look at Roadcrafter for a one piece suit. You'll be able to dress for the destination and the trip all at once.

Many boots out there would never catch a second look at the office. Go to your local motorcycle gear shop (BMW, Cycle Gear, Jack's motorcycle emporium) and check out the offerings. You'll be amazed at what is out there that is both functional for the motorcyclist while on their bike and stylish enough, with comfort, to pass for street wear.

I applaud you for recognizing the limitations of non-specific gear. At the end of the day, keep in mind the idea of dressing for the crash and then get the best outfit for your budget and broad planned use.

areyouolsen

I can't agree enough with Mr. Challinor:

- Regardless of the duration of your ride, the odds of a crash are no lower or higher. All The Gear All The Time.

- Get the best gear you can afford. Even having progressed past the "poor student" point in my life, it still seems quite expensive. Until you have a get-off, regardless of whether you have the gear or not. If you have the gear, you'll likely be amazed & vow to never skimp again. If you don't, you'll still vow to never skimp again, if you're lucky.

- The above doesn't necessarily mean you have to spend thousands. The Classifieds section of this forum, advrider and eBay are a treasure trove of great stuff at great prices from great folks. Most of us aren't concerned with making a profit, just making sure good stuff doesn't go to waste & ends up in the hands of someone who'll appreciate it.

- The one piece of gear I wouldn't buy used is my helmet & replace it every 5 years (some may quibble with that, but I'd rather spend a few hundred than wonder why I didn't).

- Gaerne makes some pretty swell boots. I have the Gaerne Balance Oiled boots. They're brown with a gum-rubber sole and, thus far, nobody has even noticed they're motorcycle boots under my work pants.

Good on you for at least contemplating your safety - most guys younger than 30 never even know it's worth considering. I know I didn't.

Thanks for the input! I certainly didn't mean to imply that riding conditions should dictate necessary equipment, but thought that the description may aid in suggestion. For instance, I'm not a long distance guy, but it would seem that the risk of going down on an interstate at 70 vs at 35 in town may warrant tougher gear. Upon reading your responses, I can see how that's largely irrelevant! I have read, however, that a lot of the mesh stuff tends to melt pretty quickly compared to the kevlar/spectra-based stuff (and leather, obviously). I'm primarily having to look at mesh due to heat. We live in central AL, and 95+ temps are normal, which combined with my heat intolerance doesn't work out too well in leather. That said, thoughts on who typically wins in a mesh vs. pavement brawl?

Thanks for the Roadcrafter suggestion! It looks perfect for me, but unfortunately I don't have $1k to drop on one, or even half of that for a used one. I may have to try to get by with some cheaper over pants in the mean time. Should I be worried about wearing a leather jacket with no armor?

I have my eye on all of the classifieds online, and will continue to keep a look out. I've had multiple bad experiences with eBay, so that's out for now.

Thanks for the book suggestions! I'll start browsing to see what all's out there.

I'm definitely under 30, but recently married and have always been a bit of a safety freak. I've been in high adventure sports for many years, so I've learned to put safety first (and have seen what happens when you don't). Thanks for the encouragement, just trying to do the right thing!

Since you live in AL I would look for some decent armored mesh on which will go on sale a bit later in the riding season. Most come with a jacket liner for cooler temps. You could buy the pants one size up and wear jeans or chinos under. I think I paid about $250 for some First Gear Mesh-Tech pants and jacket 5 years ago. Pretty decent and long lasting stuff for the money. Comfortable and versatile. It is my go to summer outfit. I did upgrade the armor however.

Granted the protection is maybe only half as good as my 20 year old Roadcrafter one piece or newer 2 piece. You get what you pay for.

Kudos to you for wanting complete protection. You will have peace of mind while riding when you do.

areyouolsen

Heya Jay,

With regard to your question concerning mesh and its propensity to melt while sliding on asphalt, it is true that the plastic-based fibers used to create the mesh do have a relatively low melting point. In your particular case, though, I wouldn't worry so much about that, primarily because of the speeds you say you are riding.

The three main types of injury a motorcycle-less motorcyclist might encounter would be impact, flailing and friction. At lower speeds, the most significant injuries are likely going to be sustained through impact and moderate flailing - both of which can be minimized through padded gear (like the TF stuff from Roadcrafter or the 3Do stuff).

Friction is obviously encountered while sliding along asphalt. Unless you're the type of person who "ditches to avoid an accident" (please don't be), most of your concern is going to be impact & flailing protection (helmet and padding). Don't take that to mean that any old poly/nylon construction will be just fine, though. All it takes is a few feet and the poorly-constructed stuff is toast.

So, research your potential purchase (or find a particular brand/model) and keep an eye out for them to go on sale or come up in classifieds. I'd recommend at least cordura or high-D nylon/poly, due to the higher abrasion resistance.

I was able to, through the forums, get a lightly-used pair of zip-off pants and a good all-weather jacket (separate purchases) for under $250. They're textile (Fieldsheer Mercury 2 pants & Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket). That being said, I am sure to wear a cotton, silk or wool layer (work pants/shirt) between me and the gear. The only new items I bought were my helmet, gloves and boots.

As already mentioned distance is not a consideration when it comes to protection.

I work at a large company and have known multiple staff that had bike accidents. Out of the 4 accidents that I am aware of from work (local) "ALL" have been within 5km from home or work and except for one, the rest were caused by the other party (all of them cars).

As it is a hot country and these guys were mainly wearing just work cloth, including short sleeve shirts and in one case even shorts, two of the staff had to give up work as the injuries were debilitating. All of these accidents were in town in 50~60km/h speed zones.

I will not ride "ever" without wearing proper protection.

No matter what you choose, you need to protect:

1) Head

2) Shoulders

3) Back

4) Elbows

5) Hands

6) Hips

7) Knees

8) Ankles

9) Feet

Now go and select clothing that will suit your situation and protect the above parts.

I think you can get by with just a few additional items. You don't mention gloves, but I assume you wear some decent motorcycle gloves. You got the helmet, and a leather jacket is hard to beat as long as it isn't one designed primarily for looks. Boots or heavier lace up shoes are in order. Keep in mind that some motorcycle boots have pretty thin soles since they are not designed for extended off the bike use. A pair of "tactical" boots might be a good option. These are the types of boots worn by police. Google is your friend. The only thing I would add given a limited budget is a pair of motorcycle overpants. As the name suggests they slip over your regular pants. Look for a pair with long zippers on the side of the legs. If these zippers are long enough you'll be able to easily get the overpants off without removing your boots/shoes.

I highly recommend that you look for used gear on the forums. There is a lot of gear that has plenty of life left at very good prices. This forum and the adv rider forum are great resources. I bought a used, fades but very good condition roadcrafter suit for $250. It is now my go to gear. I just got an Olympia mesh suit for summer riding for $125. It takes patience but top quality gear is out there

In addition to the notion of wearing all the gear all the time, I'd add the notion that the gear should be the best. So much supposed motorcycle gear is instead just a fashion statement where safety is only wishful thinking.

The best reference for gear IMHO is Roadracing World Magazine's annual Trackday Directory issue, in which you'll find extensive descriptions of the features you want in gloves, boots, helmets and suits.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/2014-trackday-directory-/

This stuff is not exclusively for guys that crash at 200 mph and the $20 helmet fo $20 head analogy applies equally if you seriously think about it. But, I have to admit I don't have an airbag suit.

Just for fun, the entry price for a "decent pair of gloves" (new) is $200.

Another good resource is Craigslist.org, as you're dealing with local folks and can "try before you buy." Most items in good to excellent shape are about half their original cost. I have a couple of premium perf'd leather jackets listed on here (and on Craigslist) right now; come to think of it, I have a Cortech mesh jacket worn maybe a half dozen times I haven't listed yet -- all 46 reg (U.S.) / XL, Euro 58.

I just picked up the new Klim Induction mesh jacket, and really love it. It runs around $400, though -- not a cheap date. I also have a pair of Dainese Drake Air textile pants that have ample protection and mesh panels at the front in low-impact areas. Both are great for keeping (relatively) cool in the summer (I live in Northern Virginia, just outside Hotbox DC.). For boots, you can't beat TCX for quality & value. My other favorite brands -- for jackets, pants, full suits -- are Rev'It and Aerostitch; you can't go wrong with either of those, and Rev'It makes my favorite gloves these days as well.

Too much fantastic information to reply to everyone individually, but thanks everyone for answering my questions and providing insight and advice!

I'm keeping an eye on the classifieds and craigslist, but it seems that things for guys my size come few and far between. I'm typically a medium, and I'm seeing lots and lots of L and XL stuff. Thanks for the offers, for those of you who offered gear for sale.

I was just given an inexpensive armored jacket for free, but it seems pretty stout. Probably going to be hot, so unusable for me in the summers, but we'll see. I pass out when I get hot, so I'm planning to need to go mesh all the way. At this point, some good gloves and over pants should get me safe. I'd love a hi-vis mesh roadcrafter, but the chances of finding one in a size that fits me and a price I can afford? Ha.

I would love a roadcrafter as it seems to be the perfect setup for me with commuting, but after talking to an owner it's just going to be too hot here in the summers. Being hot = won't want to wear it, and if I'm not wearing it... well you get the idea.

Thanks again guys. If anyone has more to contribute, by all means bring it on!

In addition to the notion of wearing all the gear all the time, I'd add the notion that the gear should be the best. So much supposed motorcycle gear is instead just a fashion statement where safety is only wishful thinking.

The best reference for gear IMHO is Roadracing World Magazine's annual Trackday Directory issue, in which you'll find extensive descriptions of the features you want in gloves, boots, helmets and suits.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/2014-trackday-directory-/

This stuff is not exclusively for guys that crash at 200 mph and the $20 helmet fo $20 head analogy applies equally if you seriously think about it. But, I have to admit I don't have an airbag suit.

Just for fun, the entry price for a "decent pair of gloves" (new) is $200.

I'm wearing the heavy duty elk hide ropers. They are $67.00 HERE

Doug_Baliko
Too much fantastic information to reply to everyone individually, but thanks everyone for answering my questions and providing insight and advice!

I'm keeping an eye on the classifieds and craigslist, but it seems that things for guys my size come few and far between. I'm typically a medium, and I'm seeing lots and lots of L and XL stuff. Thanks for the offers, for those of you who offered gear for sale.

I was just given an inexpensive armored jacket for free, but it seems pretty stout. Probably going to be hot, so unusable for me in the summers, but we'll see. I pass out when I get hot, so I'm planning to need to go mesh all the way. At this point, some good gloves and over pants should get me safe. I'd love a hi-vis mesh roadcrafter, but the chances of finding one in a size that fits me and a price I can afford? Ha.

I would love a roadcrafter as it seems to be the perfect setup for me with commuting, but after talking to an owner it's just going to be too hot here in the summers. Being hot = won't want to wear it, and if I'm not wearing it... well you get the idea.

Thanks again guys. If anyone has more to contribute, by all means bring it on!

While Aerostich stuff is great riding gear, a Roadcrafter suit is anything but cool gear for hot weather riding. If you have trouble when you get too hot a Roadcrafter would be a 2 1/2 season set-up for you. Olympia makes good stuff and is reasonably priced compared to Stich and something like Klim. And don't discount BMW gear. It's expensive new, but there are bargains to be had when it comes up preowned, and it is very good quality. As others have said, look at all avenues and you'll find something very decent for a great price. Set up a recurring search for "Olympia", "Aerostich" or "mesh" on eBay in the motorcycle clothing section and you'll get a daily email as new items are listed.

Doug

Bud, thanks for the suggestion. Those look quite nice, and I do need some better gloves. They certainly look hot, but the price is right!

Doug, thanks for the advice! I've seen some Olympia stuff pop up here and there, so I'll take a closer look. I really like the BMW Airflow stuff, just waiting for the right price. The eBay suggestion is great! I really don't like eBay, got shafted out of $300-400 dollars once, so I've pretty much sworn them off. However, if the deals are there, I may have to consider getting back on there.

Alan, thanks for the link! I've come across that site once or twice, but I'll start keeping a closer eye. Good to know that they're good to deal with!

Thanks again everyone! I feel much more confident about what I need to be looking for, and where to look for it. I'm really glad to have joined this community!

Doug_Baliko
Bud, thanks for the suggestion. Those look quite nice, and I do need some better gloves. They certainly look hot, but the price is right!

Doug, thanks for the advice! I've seen some Olympia stuff pop up here and there, so I'll take a closer look. I really like the BMW Airflow stuff, just waiting for the right price. The eBay suggestion is great! I really don't like eBay, got shafted out of $300-400 dollars once, so I've pretty much sworn them off. However, if the deals are there, I may have to consider getting back on there.

Alan, thanks for the link! I've come across that site once or twice, but I'll start keeping a closer eye. Good to know that they're good to deal with!

Thanks again everyone! I feel much more confident about what I need to be looking for, and where to look for it. I'm really glad to have joined this community!

I have used eBay extensively and as long as the seller has a 100% positive rating and several transactions you should be fine. And eBay guarantees the transaction if you pay with PayPal. Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up doing.

Doug

CoarsegoldKid

Good luck in your search for good gear. My gear was recently run through the shredder. Gloves, pants and jacket given the 3000ms one-time use abrasion test. Based on the impact zones my next purchase must significantly do a better job, although, I was still left intact and rode 600 miles in the next two days. Motorcycle gear collectively have very good fit and features. But individually they don't fit every body. Selection is narrowed mostly online. Finding purveyors of those that make the cut is also problematic. Then there's the discontinued item issue for those parts of the gear collection that one wishes to repurchase. A jacket or pant from one designers rack may have all the features you want and if you are lucky both will. Two season, three season or four season choices of Gore-tex Pro shell vs. liner, Cordura D1000 vs. D500 vs. D200, D30 armor level 1 vs. level 2, CE foam vs. TF2 vs. TF3. vs. TF5, and their placement in the suit and relative adjustments for the body will influence my decision. Mix and match may have to be employed. I haven't found the optimum yet in one manufacturer. I continue to search.

I'm willing to spend for the high-end stuff which I'm well aware may not apply to a college student. KLIM high end jackets fit me fine and I don't think the sleeves will roll leaving my elbows unprotected in a slide similar to the one I just encountered. But the knee armor has only a one inch range of vertical adjustment. It covers my knees while sitting on the bike but well below with the leg out stretched as in standing. Would that protect the knee in a slide impact? I'm not so sure.

If you are willing to wear pants of the day as I have seen riders countless times then opt to cover them with any MC over pants cause the over pants will be better for you. Your leather jacket option is okay for sliding but may not be okay for the initial impact and heat transfer. Entry level Olympia gear may do the trick. What I can tell you from crashes I'm come upon in the last 48 years of riding is that for the most part only calf length MC boots will stay on your feet. So at least get real MC boots.

Another possibility for pants is to pick up the Bohn Adventure Pants with the mesh body. Then, there are a variety of Kevlar-lined pants available that would serve for everyday wear. Some are jeans, some slacks, some cargo pants.

Worn over the Bohn armor you'd have excellent protection AND you'd be in great shape if you fell off your chair during a lecture!

Archived