IGNORED

Intercoms

2001 r1150rt

2001 r1150rt

I'm looking at getting a intercom, including Bluetooth, with ability to make phone calls, link to GPS, listen to tunes etc. Considering a Sena smh10; doesn't look like the 20s is available yet, and it's more expensive.

Anyone have any pearls of wisdom regarding the Sena smh10? Other brands I should consider? Look forward to your comments.

DaveTheAffable

I have a SMH 10R installed in my Schubert C3 and I am very happy. Not all the cellphone features work on my 3 year old Android smartphone, but others, and especially those that have iPhones say they're great.

What amazes me, and the people I call, is the voice quality. I consistently have people I'm talking to say, "No way! You're on a motorcycle? It sounds better than when you call me from home."

Sena and Scala are both very good. I have several years experience with the Scala.

They have the upper end models the G9 and newer G9X and the more basic models that have less features such as the Q3.

Since you say intercom, I'm assuming you're also going to do rider passenger on top of the GPS, music, phone.

The older G9 and G9X will do all of those and more. They have built in FM radio as well.

The G9X has a feature allowing the system to "split" the Bluetooth music between rider passenger. Meaning only one music source is needed.

The G9, each person uses their own music source. But by now, the software upgrade should be out to allow sharing as well. Should be.

No matter what brand you buy, reading the directions several times and playing with the system in your living room will insure your happiness.

Too many times people will install the unit and the morning of the first ride they will try to learn how to do 5 functions and teach the passenger as well. This normally causes frustration and blaming the unit.

If you or your passenger are not up to the bit of hi tech, then maybe scaling back to a basic intercom and one or two Bluetooth functions would be better. The Scala QZ will do this.

I suggest looking at a few videos on Revzilla on both brands and different models. The video presenters talk pretty fast, but you get a feel for how each system works.

My wife and I picked up a scala rider Q1 a few weeks ago. It's their simplest set up. Not for bike-to-bike. It features (wireless) intercom, ability to pair with 2 cell phones, pair with GPS, music, and has FM radio. We have used only the intercom so far, and we like it a lot. (My only complaint so far is that the unit bumps into my jacket collar when I make a left head check before a lane change, making it harder to look over my left shoulder.) YMMV. This unit replaces our Autocom Active-Plus Duo 200 that we used for several years. (Btw, it's available if anyone is interested. Email better than PM.) Cheers.

---John.

[Edited to say the Q1 is not for bike-to-bike.]

I have had Autocomm, Scala and Sena. I haven't found anything better than the Sena - the clarity is great (per the people I talk to), mounting options that work for both full face & modular (and for those half-helmet things loud pipes folks wear - loaned one to a buddy when we were doing a tour of the South last year) and the sound levels are more than sufficient for me even when wearing ear plugs which is why I moved from the Scalas in the first place.

Just took the Autocomm wiring out of the bike this weekend in fact - was taking up room under the seat and hasn't been used after the first 6 months I owned the bike. Hate wires.

I have 2 Senas. If I'm riding two up my passenger uses one. If I'm riding alone I can swap the first out about 10 hrs into the trip and use the 2nd one and don't need to deal with a charging wire (you can charge it while it's on your helmet). I paired both to the GPS so I can swap the Zumo out to talk to whichever one I'm wearing.

They also can pair with other BT vendors so when I'm riding with a buddy who doesn't have a Sena I can pair it with his for the ride.

Kathy and I have UCLEAR HBC 100 Plus.......Very clear and NO mic boom....Mic in the ear pieces and works fine...."Music, calls, intercom, gps".....Normal Bluetooth range as we use them bike to bike............Happy with them and no boom...

Interesting timing on this. Recently, a friend of mine had to give up riding for a while or longer due to health issues.

He gave me his Sena SMH10 that I put on a shelf since I'm very happy with my Scala G4/G9.

Because of this or another discussion, I installed the Sena yesterday and charged it up.

Today, I took the RT out to try it out.

Same helmet, Shoei RJ Air, (I have two) the Sena sound quality playing music wasn't as good as my Scala G4.

I know the G4/G9 has 3 ohm speakers, no idea about the Sena.

I would say the sound reproduction was pretty good compared to the Scala that I would call very good.

Truthfully my old Autocom Pro 7 I describe as excellent but I seldom use that any more as I am spoiled by the iTunes of my IPhone.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone has actually tried both brands, to compare or if they are using what they have as a yardstick, but due to my friends generosity, I have been able to try both the same day.

Note that only the top of the line Scala G9 and G9X have the 3 ohm speakers. The more basic models use a 1 ohm but the newest systems such as the QZ and Q3 can be upgraded to the better speakers for I think 20-25 dollars from Scala as they unplug.

Note that only the top of the line Scala G9 and G9X have the 3 ohm speakers. The more basic models use a 1 ohm but the newest systems such as the QZ and Q3 can be upgraded to the better speakers for I think 20-25 dollars from Scala as they unplug.

I think that one can use in-ear speaker buds even with the Q1, as they just plug into a jack in the unit.

---John.

Archived