IGNORED

Clear paint protection

eddd

This has come up before, but I'm not finding the previous posts and not sure they will answer my questions. I've got a set of Givi bags on the way that have a smooth plastic insert on the case lids in the same place you'd find the painted section of the BMW side cases. I'll have this part of the bag painted to match the bike.

Just like the BMW cases I'm concerned about hitting the right case with my boot when getting on and off. I'm thinking that clear plastic wrap would work well. I've watched several YouTube videos and nothing looks too difficult. I anticipate that down the road I'll need to replace the film and fit a new piece as the film gets marred.

I've also seen the spray-on version by 3M so include thought on that as well.

Have you done it or had it done?

Were you please?

How long did it last/look good?

What product(s) did you use?

Thanks.

I'm thinking about doing a vinyl wrap on my bike, more to preserve the paint in case of drops as I adjust to the larger bike. From what I've read, it seems like the clear stuff basically goes on the same way, so I'll be glad to report back once I've done it. Should be in the next couple weeks.

Sorry I don't have a more immediate response!

Guest Kakugo

I've had the side cases vinyl wrapped. The guy who did the job managed to find a 3M film that's a 99% color match to the bike.

They've already paid themselves several times over... and here's the good news: including installation, the whole job was actually cheaper than a high quality clear film kit.

When I asked the "wrapper" about clear films, he said he advises using it only on light colors (white, silver etc) because it's nigh on impossible to get all the bubbles out and those will show on dark colors.

Of course, if you are only interested in protection, you can go with a clear film, but bear in mind the thicker the film, the harder to fit properly.

And you want a thick film there...

Dennis Andress

We've used this guy's products a few times. Not a perfect fit but the material is good and has held up for 5 years now. Not sure what he has for saddlebags, but he responds well to requests.

XPEL is the latest and greatest. Laney found a 3" inch roll online that is handy for small areas.

Dennis

I had a local "Clear Bra" company that puts protective films on cars do a bike once. They did a great job. Lasted years until I sold the bike and I had to tell the buyer it was there because he couldn't see it.

markgoodrich

Ed, In more than 100,000 miles of kicking the heck out of my side cases, and with Suz REALLY kicking them, I've never had a single deep scratch. A few black marks, but they come right off I've used Meguiar's Scratch X with good results on light scratches in clearcoat on many occasions.

In other words, I say don't worry about it.

anybody tried spray Plasti-Dip? I wonder if that would be tough enough..

And you just peel it off when you need to replace it! This is such a brilliant idea I'm gonna try it myself. Report to come!

szurszewski

anybody tried spray Plasti-Dip? I wonder if that would be tough enough..

And you just peel it off when you need to replace it! This is such a brilliant idea I'm gonna try it myself. Report to come!

I Plastidipped all the body panels on my RT last year. It's fairly forgiving stuff to put on, so you can get a decent finish (and if you go to their site - dipmycar.com I believe -you can get several colors and both gloss and matte finishes)...BUT it is not durable as a sprayed film. If you've used it before as an actual dip, you might think it would offer protection, but I can guarantee you that sprayed on, even in several layers, your boot will scuff it and likely rip/peel a section off.

Mind you I'm not complaining as I didn't put it on my bike for protection, but I am always quick to say it is really for looks and not for a durable finish. If anyone wants to see it let me know and I can email you some pics.

So I take it you're flagstaff on the FJR forum? ; )

Yes, but my days there are over. I sold the FJR last night.

..BUT it is not durable as a sprayed film. If you've used it before as an actual dip,

Have you tried the 3M Paint Defender spray film? I didn't know it existed until I saw it here earlier.

I just got the 3M clear from Ebay. I have heard pretty good things about it.

I want to change the color. I have heard good things about the Plastic Dip as a temporary protection and change. Primarly good things because it can be peeled off in about a month or two.

I have also thought about going to a white 3M. Maybe people will stop cutting me off, if they think I am a cop for a second or two. :P

Dave_zoom_zoom
Food for thought...

Cedric_03.jpg

You're welcome.

Mikko

You are clearly a guy who's not afraid to take that extra step to get a laugh!

Thanks for the chuckle Mikko.

Dave

Food for thought...

Cedric_03.jpg

You're welcome.

Mikko

How come I don't get a birthday present like that????? :grin:

Archived