IGNORED

Spark Plug Coil remover, Oil Filter wrench - Marc Parnes

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

I've been spending money...lol.

I ordered a Spark Plug Coil removal tool, and an Oil Filter wrench from Marc Parnes a couple days ago.

Quick delivery and... wow... quality machining, fit, finish. They both work as advertised.

Twice this week I'm a happy guy... :wave:

I thought I needed something special to pop off the plugs so I went to my local dealership. I told them I was changing plugs and asked if they had the "special tool" to do it. The tech asked me if I had some 90* pliers, of which I said I do, he then told me to use those as that is what they use in the shop. So, I saved a couple of bucks. The tines fit right in the grooves and a slow straight pull does the trick.

Mine are similar to these but of the standard size.

640862-10-long-reach-bent-nose-90-pliers.jpg

I really hate to expose myself to derision, but I use the BMW supplied puller that came in my tool kit... '05 R1200RT… the price is right, it works and I do not use it very often anyway.

Thanks for the 90° pliers tip. I still have 2 of the OEM spark plug cap pullers, but it's always good to have a backup plan.

DaveTheAffable

Well... I never knew that BMW RT's came with a spark plug coil removal tool. That might be because they don't... any more. But I have learned that they used to!

Anyway, I should give better disclaimers to my reviews. I also forget that there are "Noobies" around that don't always have the whole story/history. Let me try again.

----------------

I've been looking at how one removes a spark plug coil from a 2010 RT. A lot of opinions out there. It seems that the coil is fairly easy to break.

Methods for removal include:

- Finding the older plastic tool BMW used to include

- Buying one for $90 (?) at a BMW dealer

- $15 metal one from ebay

- A $30 machined aluminum one from some guy name Marc Parnes

- A screwdriver used alternately left, right, left, right, gently prying out

- Pliers

- Needle nose pliers

- 90* needle nose pliers

- Delrin flat bars (A flat little alignment tool made of Delrin/Nylon)

- Wooden tounge depressors

- Chopsticks

- "Gently yank on the wire and you'll be ok" :dopeslap: (uhhh...no)

It seems that in the end, it should be simple, but I learned that any method you use needs to be done with caution as the coils do break.

It may be expensive, but I used to work in a machine shop and kind of like "machined things" and settled on ...

.... a Spark Plug Coil removal tool, and an Oil Filter wrench from Marc Parnes a couple days ago.

Quick delivery and... wow... quality machining, fit, finish. They both work as advertised.

They included instructions and precautions on use, and also suggested using a little silicone (non petroleum!) grease on the coil boot to aid in future removals.

:wave:

Archived