IGNORED

removing glue/gunk from headlight

BA Phillips

BA Phillips

I have to replace the velcro on my headlamp that hold the protective cover in place, since a couple of the velcro pieces have come loose. Any recommendations for safely removing the glue / gunk / adhesive without dulling the headlamp?

TIA,

Brian

Guest Kakugo

Soak them in rubbing alcohol, let rest a few minutes, then remove with a piece of cloth.

Repeat as many times as needed to remove all traces of glue.

Morning Brian

I usually just use a little WD-40 to remove glue or gunk from Lexan & other easily damaged plastics.

There are also products made specifically for the task like Goo Gone, but I've found they usually don't work any better than WD-40. But... the Goo Gone type products might be a safer option on applications where WD-40 might damage the part you are trying to clean since they are not as 'oily' as WD. This is not the case with your headlights, but mentioned for other times you need to remove something.

My rule of thumb is to start with the least powerful solvent, and move to something stronger only if it doesn't work:

1. Soap and hot water

2. 91% isopropyl alcohol

3. WD-40

4. Goo Gone

A warning about Goo Gone: If I remember correctly, Apple iMacs of the ~2005 era had polycarbonate cases. I had exactly the same situation that you describe, with some adhesive residue, and I think that I tried using Goo Gone, which permanently damaged the surface of the plastic.

When you have removed the residue, use a plastic polish (such as headlight restorer) then wax.

shopping.jpg

3 M adhesive remover works every time. I have tried the other stuff and this 3M product does not screw around. It works and is totally safe for paint etc. And it is ALWAYS handy to have around for the next sticky adhesive residue you need removed...there will be a next time

There are two versions of Goo Gone. One is citrus based and the other,stronger, petroleum based.

The stronger version will melt some plastics.

+1. I find the citrus smelling Goo-B-Gone to work better than WD-40 and works great on plastic without any noticeable effect. I haven't found anything better getting sticker goo off of stuff.

Archived