IGNORED

Clearwater auxillary lights

Wildpiper

I stopped by the dealer this afternoon to ask some advice on additional visibility lights. The parts guy suggested, while pricey, Clearwater lights out of California were excellent. So, for a pricetag around $500 (but's it's not what it costs, it's what it doesn't cost me, right?) just wondering if anyone has had any experience them them.

- Pete

DaveTheAffable

A number of users here. Not the only option, but a very good one!

Our very own Moshe Levy wrote an article....

Clearwater Krista Test

Grab that search engine tool at the top of the forum page and type in "Clearwater" :wave:

I've had them a few years now. Great product that I know for sure has saved my skin on many occasions. Excellent quality.

I sold probably 2 dozen sets of the Clearwater lights. The entire line of them.

Never had one customer come back and say they weren't bright enough, weren't worth the money.

They are right in line with the amount we used to sell a set of PIAA halogen lights, a light bar, and a wiring kit for.

Quality isn't a set of 200 lights that were re-purposed to bolt onto a motorcycle.

The Clearwater's are very much plug and play to each model, have a rheostat and sometimes offer different mounting locations. I really pushed the fork leg mount as I'm a firm believer in the "triangle of visibility" thing. Seeing a headlight and two lower lights from a distance really gets your attention, day or night.

If you call Clearwater, most of the time, Keith, the owner and designer of the lights answers the phone. He's always accessible to answer questions about the lights. Nice people, great product.

I've had a set of Glendas on my RT for several years. They have worked flawlessly and I've had more than one person tell me how easily they notice me on the road (I bought them for conspicuity reasons). Mine are wired into the high beam switch, so I also have "flash to pass" in addition to the "rheostat". I recommend them highly. They're a well made, robust product. It was my independent tech who recommended them several years ago (he had installed several sets and was impressed by their quality).

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Too much money.

Mondomotos for one. It isn't clear what you are looking for though.

Visibility, yours or to be seen? Conspicuity can be had from walmart for less than $20 with cheapo fog lamps.

The Clearwater lights seem to be high quality but they are expensive.

I have a set of the ADVmonster Model 60s mounted on my crash bars. Mine have been trouble free for 20,000 miles. The lights are controlled with one of the ADVmonster dimmer switches and switch to 100% with the high beam. Not the quality of the the Clearwater's but about half the cost.

Here is the link

I've got the Darlas on my K1600. My riding buddy, who was critical of the factory fog lamps as conspicuity lights (they didn't get his attention) now says I can stop. The Darlas on half power is all that's necessary. At night turn them up and WOW. If you ride alot at night in areas where high beams are practical (low traffic) the Ericas are like the sun.

I have a set of Krista's on my Road Glide and liked them so much that I had A set of Darls's and Erica's installed on my 2014 RTW. The CAN opener system was also installed.

For the brief time I've been able to ride my RT I've got to say that the lights and CAN opener are a great system. Being able to control the amount of lighting you need was the reason I bought the set for the Harley. Seeing the quality of Clearwater made the choice for the RT a no brainer.

I now have Erica and Darlas. Submitted that test to MCN in March but they still haven't printed it. (Hey, call and nag Searle if you want to see it! :wave: )

High quality, made in USA stuff - worth every penny. Best lights on the market. If one of you has photosharing I'll send you some pics from my March test so you can see for yourself.

-MKL

Well after all your opinions here, reviews online and it turns out a great friend of mine has them on his FJR, I ordered Darlas today. He told a story about when he was at some riding event with a group of FJRs and every time he looked in his mirrors his eyes were always drawn to the couple if bikes with Clearwaters, and that sold him.

The Clearwater lights seem to be high quality but they are expensive.

I have a set of the ADVmonster Model 60s mounted on my crash bars. Mine have been trouble free for 20,000 miles. The lights are controlled with one of the ADVmonster dimmer switches and switch to 100% with the high beam. Not the quality of the the Clearwater's but about half the cost.

Here is the link

Sounds like you've got a great set of lights for half the price.

I'm curious, what's the difference in quality? And what difference does it make? Yours have been trouble-free. So what more can one ask? They're not supposed to cook breakfast or tuck you in at night. They're supposed to put out light and be trouble-free. So why would anyone want to pay more? The cachet of having the most expensive brand? Who cares?

Well true, but my 1200RT came with a little man named Hans that jumps out of the side case and gives me a back rub on long rides. Pretty good deal really...

:-)

Have not heard anything bad about the Clear Water lights other than cost. As an alternative I have the Twisted Throttle Denali DN2 's on my GSA and they really work well. VERY bright and they come complete with wiring and switch ... all for about $335 ... about $200 less than Clear Waters. Again Clear Water lights are great ... I was just wanting to save a couple bucks. I did buy a set of ADVMONSTERs but the quality was just not there for me. The Denali lights looks rock solid and are excellent quality.

I've had a set of Glendas on my RT for several years. They have worked flawlessly and I've had more than one person tell me how easily they notice me on the road (I bought them for conspicuity reasons). Mine are wired into the high beam switch, so I also have "flash to pass" in addition to the "rheostat". I recommend them highly. They're a well made, robust product. .....

Ditto

I've got a pair of Darla's on their way right now. I'll have just enough time to get them installed before I hit the road on the 31st. Yep, they are a bit spendy but I've always had the philosophy that I buy hear once and have it last. After all your endorsements and a couple other friends making comments that they always noticed riders with Clearwater's behind them before others sold me.

Looking forward to using them. It's been a good day. Decided on a gear upgrade and got off the phone with Aerostich this afternoon. Next call will probably be from my wife :-) "But, it's for safety honey..."

RandyShields

Further to this thread, and validating Moshe's comments on the Ericas, there is a great product evaluation article in the Spring edition of Iron Butt magazine on the new Erica driving lights. At 6000 lumens, the Erica’s 6 LEDs have more than double the light from the next size down Kristas (at 2400 lumens). And as good as the Kristas are, the Ericas extend twice as far with a slightly narrower band. The writer likened these to as dramatic a difference versus his HID auxiliary lighting to the difference between stock halogen lighting and HIDs.

“I tried to do some measuring to see how far the usable light projected, but it really didn’t matter. The answer is as far as you can see and certainly farther than you will ever need. Clearwater claims the Ericas will light up object over a mile away and I would not dispute that claim.” “ The Erica light is easily one of the most impressive and powerful motorcycle lights I have ever seen.”

At $849, they are pricey and probably more than what is needed for daylight driving lights. But if you plan to do any distance or night riding, these may be the ticket. And if you ride over 300 miles to their CA facility for installation, they will pay for your overnight stay.

The writer likened these to as dramatic a difference versus his HID auxiliary lighting to the difference between stock halogen lighting and HIDs.

“I tried to do some measuring to see how far the usable light projected, but it really didn’t matter. The answer is as far as you can see and certainly farther than you will ever need.”

"+1" seems like an understatement on the Ericas. For the first time in more than 35 years of riding, I do not feel like I still need more light. I always joked that I wanted to find a pair of aircraft landing lights for my bike -- don't need 'em now!

Archived