IGNORED

Suggestions for front wheel stand

bwr

I have three bikes that I will be removing front wheels from in the future (they're not all mine): '13 F800GT, '14 R1200RT, and '14 R1200GS.

Does anybody have any suggestions for an affordable front wheel stand that will support the front end when pulling the wheels from these bikes? All my previous motorcycles allowed removal of the front wheels without a stand.

Thanks.

The R1200RT should be so well balanced on the center stand that you can weigh down the rear end (I use a rope tied to a cement block) and it will just sit there while you do your thing on the front end... make sure to chock the rear wheel so you don't roll off the center stand.

I have successfully used this type of stand for other bikes in the past:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SPORT-BIKE-MOTORCYCLE-WHEEL-LIFT-FRONT-FORK-STAND-RACE-TRACK-STAND-/231269327711?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d8b9e35f&vxp=mtr

$_12.JPG

-John

russell_bynum
The R1200RT should be so well balanced on the center stand that you can weigh down the rear end (I use a rope tied to a cement block) and it will just sit there while you do your thing on the front end... make sure to chock the rear wheel so you don't roll off the center stand.

Yup. I've done that with basically anything that has a centerstand.

Otherwise...I like PitBull stands like this one.

Joe Frickin' Friday

My R1100RT didn't require any weight on the rear end; removing the front wheel was enough to cause it to settle onto its rear wheel. That's what I call well-balanced.

My R1200RT requires a good 50 pounds of extra weight on the rear end to get the front wheel to come up off of the ground. Not what I call well-balanced.

You might want to consider something like I put together. It is very versatile for working on either end of most any bike. I recently used this when changing the rear shock on an FJR demonstrating that it is strong. It also comes apart for easy storage.

orig.jpg

It hangs neatly on a wall taking up almost no room at all.

medium800.jpg

I just helped a friend pull the wheels on an r1200rt for a tire swap. Use the center stand then use lumber under the oil pan to support the front. No stand necessary. The oil pan is plenty strong. The fork leg shape makes it a little tough to use a stand anyway.

I have the same type of stand recommended by Biometrics.

I did rig up some ratchet straps to the garage roof for one change,but the stand makes it much easier and although it's another bit of clutter in the garage, IMHO its a safe and easy option.

Archived