IGNORED

And Take Care of your Feet! That's a standing order.

RPG

I'm a little perplexed about what to get. I rode to the R90s rally last month and picked up some lightweight hiking socks from REI. Nice socks, felt great but too thick and too warm inside my BMW boots. So I'm riding to the MOA National next week on my RT and would like to know what y'all recommend? I think I want something very light, thin and will wick the moisture.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

RPG

I like "gold toe" socks found at JCPenney. I think they are a nylon/orlon mix. They are soft, thin(relatively speaking) and they actually wick moisture away-at least for me. Cotton holds moisture, wool is generally thick. I've found some "diabetic" socks that are also helpful. I guess it depends on what quality you are looking for.

By far the best socks I ever found, if you can find a US seller are Falke.

They make motorcycle specific socks meaning they have extra padding in the left (and right) big toe area to pad against the shifter. They are also woven left and right so there is less toe bunching of material.

They had 3-4 weights depending on super hot weather or super cold. They were all blends of several materials to wick moisture, insulate, pad, etc. awesome.

The Motors loved the super tall winter socks to keep warm while wearing those boots in winter without big bulk.

Prices started about 20-22 a pair but they lasted forever.

I first saw them at the IMS show in San Mateo years back.

Hope they are still in the US.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Pretty much anything synthetic and thickness commensurate with season. My Sidi rains don't have a lot of room but, I get by with lightly insulating socks.

Guest Kakugo

I've tried a number of socks for long hauls from brands such as Falke and other big names... in the end the best socks I've found are those made by a couple of local textile companies for "sporting activities".

I also have a pair of Sixs socks I was given as a free sample to try out on long hauls. These are extremely nice socks, probably exactly what you are after, but there's no way I am spending 15€ on a pair of socks. Unless they are silk and a present for a nice lady. :rofl:

I got started wearing these during my fire service. It turns out that they are also excellent for wearing with my motorcycle boots. The ones in the link are the lightest. They have others for cooler weather conditions.

The 511tactical line of products is good quality.

clip--National next week on my RT and would like to know what y'all recommend? --clip

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Afternoon Rick

I can't recommend any socks that work as so far NONE I have tried have really worked in my thicker cool-weather boots. (the boots just don't breathe that good no matter what socks are inside)

I just switch to thinner more ventilated boots for hot weather summer riding. Using these, about any sock I wear seems to work just great.

SteveHebert

My brother and a friend where Sokz - I believe is the spelling. They rave about them. I am sure they will be at the rally.

I wear thin dress socks in the summer with my mesh boots and my tall former Army-green socks. They are a wool mix. I like the height so the boots to not rub on my calves.

I got three pairs of SmartWool socks at REI. The thin ones. Wore them around the house last night and I think they'll do just fine.

thanks for the tips everyone.

RPG

About the only socks I wear anymore at all are either Smartwool, Goodhew, or Bridgdale. They are all a merino wool blends, hold up very well, and work great for wicking moisture. I have them in several thicknesses depending on the activity, footwear, and/or weather.

For instance......two years ago for the UNrally. I only brought 2 pairs of socks with me for the 10 day trip. They were Bridgdale over the calf, medium thickness. I spent 3-days in triple digit temps getting out there, a few days there with temps between 40-100 degrees, and 2 days getting back. My feet were dry and comfortable the whole time, and that was wearing a pair of heavy waterproof dual sport boots. Incidently, those are also the exact same socks I like to wear when I go snowboarding in the single digits. They are just damn good socks.

I rode to work this morning and they are calling for a high of 80. I'm wearing my regular waterproof Oxtar riding boots and a pair of mid-calf lightweight thickness Goodhew socks. They are the same socks I would be wearing to the office if I wasn't riding today. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and I alwasy have dry feet when I take them off.

I tend to by all of my socks from Sierra Trading Post when there are good sales going on. I routinely pay about $6-8 per pair with the discounts available. For the price, I don't think they can't be beat.

Archived