IGNORED

TPM for 2005 R1200RT

LisaNicole

Thinking of adding Tire Pressure Monitoring to my 2005 R1200RT. I can go with a retrofitted BMW system currently on new bikes or a less expensive after market which is not utilizing the on-board computer and fits on the valve outside the tire. Has anyone added this feature to an older bike? Any recommendations???

Afternoon Lisa

It depends on your wheels-- If I remember correctly the non TPM wheels that came on your bike back in 2005 won't accept the BMW tire pressure sensors. (I think BMW only offers the TPM wheels as replacement wheels now)

IF your bike needs new wheels to accommodate the TPM sensors it will be very cost prohibitive to install the BMW TPM system.

I use a set of these on my RT linky

If you do go with a stem mounted TPM make sure you have steel valves. The RT has one standard for the front (it is actually mounted in one of the spokes) but the rear was standard rubber. The centrifugal force from the TPM head (it's lightweight but not that light) will crack and ultimately break a rubber valve stem. That will leave you with a flat tire and likely a walk. Yes, I know this from experience.

Only about $6 for a metal valve at Cycle World or other cycle shop. (Although you can spend $20 if you want the super duper high speed magic race versions ordered online.)

Wow... Yeah, new rims would be a show stopper... Certainly a question to talk to BMW about... Thanks Dirtrider

I'm not sure TPM was even available as a factory option until the 2009 model year. At least, I find no mention of it in the owner's manual before that time. If that is true, you would also need a different instrument display and a new bike computer to interpret the signals. Probably not even a possibility - cheaper to sell your bike and buy a newer model.

Paul In Australia
I'm not sure TPM was even available as a factory option until the 2009 model year. At least, I find no mention of it in the owner's manual before that time. If that is true, you would also need a different instrument display and a new bike computer to interpret the signals. Probably not even a possibility - cheaper to sell your bike and buy a newer model.

It was factory installed on my 2008 when I had it.

Regards

I have the same unit as digger works great, changing out rear stem for metal is a must. Also pick up a spare batt

FWIW - I have been running the TireGard system for a few years now. I still use the BMW rubber valve stems front and rear (2001 R1100RT). I change out the valve stems for new ones every other tire change and have never had a failure or even a damaged valve stem when they were replaced. The BMW rubber stems are quite short and should not be effected by the sensor on the tip. I balance my tires with a Marc Parnes stand and balance them with the valve stem sensor attached.

I change out the valve stems for new ones every other tire change and have never had a failure or even a damaged valve stem when they were replaced.
How many miles would that be? I agree it's not an issue short-term. I was following the same process but I get between 12 & 16K on the tires. That left the valve stem in there for over 30K. Lot of centrifugal forces. And my stem wasn't that short - not a stubby anyway. The steel one is cheap. While you're at it you can get a right angle one that makes it easier to check and adjust tire pressures too.

Afternoon Mike

I can't speak to that particular system but just a caution if you go through a lot of tires. Some of those in-wheel sensors that use a band (don't sit in a machined pocket inside the rim) can make tire changing a real pain if the sensor sits proud enough to not allow tire bead breaking, or not allow the tire beads to pull down into the rim inner channel.

Just do some research to see if that system will hamper easy tire changing or the sensors are easily damaged at tire change.

Thanks DR.

I was hoping to illicit some comments with regard to internal band/sensor tire changing issues on this particular brand. My research searches have not turned up anything elsewhere. Not wanting to find out first hand has keep me from ordering.

I have Orange Electronics (no longer sold in the US) internal sensors (no band) on my Goldwing and a new kid at the shop I always used, busted one. It took me forever to to acquire a replacement, from China.

Afternoon Mjac

See if you can find installation directions, that might show you where the sensors locate & how proud they sit.

DR

Here is a link to Mobiletrons MC sensor page

http://www.mobiletron.com/b_eng_products_view.asp?FkindNo=F000004&SkindNo=S000032&Pd_Id=3560

The sensor dimensions are 88(L)x32(W)x22(H)mm

I do not have a set of bare wheels handy to determine fitment. :(

A user manual dl'ed from the above link shows some pictures but not too much detail or scale.

Thanks for nudging me toward what I found.

I use a set of these on my RT linky ....

I too am using this system. I used it for a while with the rubber valve stem on the rear tire but when I had that tire replaced, I had them switch to a metal stem.

No issues.

Don't let it get wet. I had to replace mine after the bike got left out overnight with the TPMS on it. Display went bad. That's why I have it held on with rubber hair bands and a safety tether. I take it off in the rain and when left out over night.

Here's my setup: IMG_1054.JPG

I also put in in a mini plastic pill bag under the rubber cover as extra protection. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

Archived