IGNORED

DMC sidecars?

UberXY

Anyone had any experience with DMC sidecars?

DMC sidecars

In 36 years of riding, I've never been on a hack or trike, never had much interest in them, but with painful legs and my old R65 sitting idle, I've been thinking about a side car project. If nothing else it would be fun for camping.

szurszewski

I've been toying with the idea of a sidecar for years (almost bought a Ural back in 98 but instead bought my first BMW - good choice I think; was planning to buy a new Ural this year but that got complicated), and have been seriously shopping since early spring this year.

In that shopping, I've had occasion to ask Jay at DMC a few questions (if you google around you'll see posts from him on ADV and the main sidecar forums). I've not spent dollar one at his business, but he's been really helpful with information. As for actual experience, you can find people saying fantastic and not so fantastic things about Dauntless and their products. If I had the money, and they had car I liked, I'd be inclined to order from them - of course, I also have the ability to drive a few hours and see them first - you probably aren't planning to do that.

I actually ended up buying a used Hannigan sidecar recently, and as soon as I have a few minutes free I'll be contacting both Hannigan and DMC to see what the best route is to get it hooked up to my bike.

Good luck and do post here about what you decide to do - I'd at least be very interested in seeing what you have to say.

josh

If your in VA. Claude Stanley Motorsports is in PA and Claude makes some really COOL stuff. Check on ADV rider in the 'Hack' forum.

szurszewski
If your in VA. Claude Stanley Motorsports is in PA and Claude makes some really COOL stuff. Check on ADV rider in the 'Hack' forum.

LOTS of posts around referencing him; haven't seen a negative one, and I'd definitely check in with him if he were on my side of the country. Might anyway.

josh

Uber, In my opinion, your R65 would make a good sidecar tug. You wouldn't want a real heavy hack though. A Velorex, Spirit Eagle, or even a URal or Dnepr would work. DMC can provide you with a sub frame and upgraded mounts for a Velorex. The Velorex "universal clamps" are generally regarded as dangerous. If you are at all mechanical and do your own maintenance you should be able to rig up a sidecar on your R65. Alignment is critical. There is detailed info on sidecar.com, including a downloadable manual on driving and setting up a sidecar rig. Virginia does have sidecar and trike operating classes.

I have a Dnepr hack on my R75/5. I have a subframe, a lower gear ration final drive, and a steering triple tree modification that makes it steer easier.

P5120938-L.jpg

Archived