IGNORED

Iron Butt Water Bottle Holder?

TheRoss

I was recently told that a member on this forum offered custom made carriers for mounting 2 gallon water bottles on bikes. For IBR riders it is common to mount water low on one side, in front of a pannier, or on top behind the rider. Most use a metal carrier to secure the removable plastic bottle in place.

If this is an item someone here makes, could someone direct me?

Thanks!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Have you looked at hydration packs?

2 gallons would get one through a lot of miles which could be easily within a couple gas stops.....which allow for refilling the pack. That's what I do anyway.

Just saw your location: Understood a bit more.

Joe Frickin' Friday
2 gallons would get one through a lot of miles which could be easily within a couple gas stops.....which allow for refilling the pack. That's what I do anyway.

A Camelbak works fine for me too, but IBR competitors need to minimize non-riding time, and that includes repeatedly refilling a Camelbak. If they're willing to add a multi-gallon aux fuel tank to a long-legged bike like the RT, I'm not at all surprised that they would also be interested in a tank of drinking water that wouldn't need to be refilled more than once per day.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Joe,

Understood. When I've got to march a forced march I cheat. I-80 through Nevada and on Salt Lake at 75 and 80 mph speed limits. That takes a lot of clock time out of the equation.

1200 miles yesterday from Co. Springs to home in 19 hours with three short and two 1/2 hour fuel stops to replenish the Geigerrig and take care of business. Plus, I got to not see Breckenridge in the dark. :rofl:

I made a carrier for my RT that sat on the rear passenger peg and held a 1 gal Coleman type round cooler jug. I ran a piece of tubing into it through a hole I drilled in the top, attached a length of polyethylene hose and a CamelBak bite valve. Attached the valve to my tank bag using a retractable reel like on work ID badges. I could grab it, pull it in for a drink and let it go and it would return to the bag.

Just got to be a pain bolting the thing onto the peg (I had used an 8" metal cap like they sell at Home Depot for stovepipe with a U-Bolt running through it to attach to the peg and then a nylon strap that held it to the side frame).

I went to the oblong 1 gal cooler jugs WalMart sells - made by Ozark I think. Then I got a set of Aerostich standard panniers. Those are easy to drop on the bike under the pillion seat, rest on the pegs and are the perfect size for the oblong jugs. Same hose/valve setup. I ran the hose under the seats to keep from getting my legs/feet caught in the hoses when I got on/off. All off the shelf and no need to fab it or have someone else do the same. And if I want I can use the panniers for extra capacity when I'm not running with water.

Archived