IGNORED

Is my new battery defective?

elkroeger

The other day, I bought a new battery for my 11RS. It's just an old fashioned wet cell (Interstate brand). The man at the store put the acid in, and I took it home uncharged. By the time I got it home and took it out of the car (about an hour), it was as hot as a fresh cup of coffee. Is that normal? I can see warming up a little, but I could barely hold it.

Anyway, I brought it in the house and put the battery tender (Jr.) on it, and pointed a fan at it too. It charged all day and when I came back, the thing was off gassing (or "boiling"). A couple of the cells had boiled off so the plates were exposed.

I topped up the cells and let it sit overnight. It's reading 11.9v this morning, which is basically dead.

That battery tender has never given me any trouble. Did I do something wrong or should I just take it back?

Thanks!

I would take it first to have it load tested to a place like AutoZone... then depending on the outcome of the test, take it back... If you have used your charger on similar batteries in the past, then it sounds like it is defective to me.

I use the same kind of battery, and have gotten three years service from when it was new. I will likely replace it with one just like it. You can find them online as well... ebay, batterymart, etc., and I think walmart is now selling a compatible battery for the RT line. Just take the old one with you, or at least the measurements... Walmart has an excellent warranty program.

-John

Afternoon Elkroeger

Personally I would take that battery back & get another. Something just doesn't sound right with the way it's acting.

I had a similar occurrence with a lead acid battery about 5 years ago (tractor battery). It gassed a lot when acid was added & was very hot even without charging.

I wish I had taken it back & not installed it as it blew acid all over my battery compartment after about 1 hour of use.

Guest Kakugo

It's possible (possible) two or more cells have impurities or small lead flakes in them causing them to short.

Replacement is the only solution: take it back to the shop and get a new one.

Thanks for the input guys! It looks like it's a consensus. In addition to the above posts, I have a neighbor who's a mechanic at an automotive electrical shop. He said it sounds like it has an internal short. It shouldn't heat up like it did (or any of that other stuff).

I'll be dragging it back to the store in the morning. Thanks again for the help. Thankfully, I didn't install the thing, and then have to do that twice. Or worse, wind up on the side of the road asking around for a push start... (Whew!)

Archived