IGNORED

Sena 20S series communication

Firefight911

Firefight911

Well, after over 200,000 miles and 9 separate motorcycles it seems as though my trusted, tried, and true Autocom Active Plus intercom set is finally reaching its end of life. As such, it's time to start looking at an upgrade in the near future.

I've seen several posts concerning the Sena 10 series and it seems to be quite favorable. Any first hand or second had knowledge on the new guy in town, the Sena 20S series. Search didn't seem to dig up anything.

I will be looking at having cell phone use, Zumo 665, XM, intercom, and B2B capability just as I had with my Autocom. I ran the Zumo hardwired and the Bluetooth dongle handled my phone use. The Autocom has been absolutely flawless up until the mic started giving out and there is some breakdown of sound quality overall. Additionally, I am running ArizonaAl's fantastic molded speaker plugs. Another item about due for a freshen but that's easy with a six pack of beer and a smile once I am able to be in the same county as Al and I'm not stuck at work.

Anyway, any input would be great and also, other options to dig in to would be helpful as well. I've added a link to what I'm looking at below along with another link to RKA luggage as they are a big proponent of the Sena and have been pretty helpful to date with info on the product line.

Thanks in advance!

Sena 20S

RKA Luggage

• 1 month later...

I was excited to get the 20 and it was awesome for a time. Sound quality and connection to other riders on the intercom was much faster - nearly instant. Battery life is good. The earphone connection is much better, but. After four days of using it, a plastic part broke where the main unit connects to the helmet clamp. Revzilla said, yeah we've been hearing a lot about this. As it is, its not usable and I had to send it back. Not sure what Sena is going to do.If not for this issue it is awesome. Great app allows you to make adjustments very easily. Just like with the 10 there there are manufacturing flaws that are worrisome.

I've been a Scala user for several years, inherited a Sena 10 a few months ago. I have two Shoei 3/4 helmets so I have one in each.

The Scala (G4) for me has much better music quality (IPhone tunes) and on my RT, incoming calls are seamless.

The Sena, voice on incoming calls is clearer but the mic doesn't seem to work as well. I have to slow down or lean forward.

On the Sena, why couldn't they wire the knob like a water faucet? Clockwise for less volume, counterclockwise for more? Odd.

The active volume on the Scala ruins you as well. You never touch the adjustment.

Ok, nit picks over.

Mine is on order, it should arrive late Thursday. If it does I will have only a couple of days to play with it before leaving on a 9 day trip Monday.

So I guess I'm going to be a double device Beta Tester! New Garmin 590 GPS and the new Sena 20S. To add to my confusion I've finally broken down and vowed to only use Garmin's Base Camp instead of Map Source to plan this trip. Truly a glutton for punishment!

I for one don't care much about the FM in the Sena unit. I have music stored on my iPhone as well as Pandora available and both can be routed and controlled through the GPS. Plus MP3's stored on the GPS unit itself (32 GB card installed) are also accessible.

I just finished the Garmin 590 GPS install to my '02 RT yesterday. I haven't even taken it out for a trial ride yet. I have spent considerable time playing with it. I suppose I should take some time and document what I love / like / dislike / hate so far about the unit but this isn't the right thread for that.

I'll be travelling by myself, so I won't get a chance to evaluate the Sena as an intercom unless I run into someone in Sipapu that wants to be a test mule.

I also won't get a chance to tryout the Sena cell phone ap for setting up the unit's options. Everything can be done without the ap so it isn't critical, but I'm sure the ap would make it easier. My old iPhone 3GS isn't new enough (requires iOS 7). Pity the new iPhone isn't available yet! Hmmm I should check and see if it will run on my iPad, it's current!!!!

Yes!!, at least it installed and runs! Without the Sena unit it's hard to tell if it really works.

Anyway, I'll give more feedback on the Sena unit once I actually have it in hand.

Stan

a plastic part broke where the main unit connects to the helmet clamp

That's good to know, I'll try and be extra careful!

Stan

Is it possible to get audio via Bluetooth from the '14 RT audio system to two Senas so that both rider and passenger can listen to radio?

Can't help with the capabilities of your bike's audio system, but the Sena 20S supports music sharing with a riding buddy (or so the manual states). Just start an intercom conversation with your riding buddy and select music sharing.

Stan

After only a few times disconnecting the 20S from the helmet clamp, I do see wear on the clamp where the unit locks on. When removing the unit from the clamp, it is often difficult despite pressing the quick release button firmly. I noticed that Sena has posted a video on the 20s product page, recommending that when removing the unit, to press it downward on the clamp before pressing the release button.

Here's the video

Is it possible to get audio via Bluetooth from the '14 RT audio system to two Senas so that both rider and passenger can listen to radio?

Can't help with the capabilities of your bike's audio system, but the Sena 20S supports music sharing with a riding buddy (or so the manual states). Just start an intercom conversation with your riding buddy and select music sharing.

Stan

The SMH-10 supports this as well.

I'm a recent adapter of helmet based BT gear. Till now, ear buds mostly suited my needs. The two main drawbacks that ear buds posed for me were ear soreness after 3 or more hours. I'd need to switch to standard ear plugs for a while before switching back, The other obvious drawback to the ear buds is the potential total noise isolation from everything. Apart from the danger this can pose, it's also a pain in the fanny to have to yank off the helmet and pop the buds out to have any conversation at fuel stops or even on the side of the road with others to discuss a detour or whatever. It's also awesome around town where I don't need ear protection, so I can have my tunes and quickly remove my helmet without the ear bud issue and hassles.

I also wanted to be able to take calls while riding as I was now riding two hours each way to work.

The Sena 20 grabbed my attention for many of the reasons pointed out, but also because it features a "ambient' function that allows you to hear the outside you helmet, so if one was utilizing the aux jack for ear buds, you could not hear and have conversation while your helmet and ear buds were sill in place.

In addition, everything I've read has supported the excellent and responsive customer service provided by Sena.I experienced this as well, as I called them twice with questions before I bought.

However, I bought the SMH10 for now because the 20 is so new it's not being discounted much and I will pass this unit to my wife and buy the 20 once the demand falls off. Plus I wanted to try it first. I've been very happy and the units ave most things in common except ambient and the longer range. The helmet speakers are the SAME.

Here would be the areas I would wish for improvement. The speakers. They are just OK - BUT, I am somewhat of an audiophile and I don't think ANY helmet speaker would satisfy me. My thoughts were that I could use ear plugs with the helmet speakers on my commute - and that has worked fine. But the lack bass. Towards that end, on the 20's, they modified the audio to boost the bass.But several riders have complained about that, so they either have already or are about to implement a software change that will allow the 20 rider to select from the originally (like on the SMH10) audio profile or the added bass as originally incorporated into the 20.

I have been very happy with my unit, and it has more in common that not with the 20. I've paired with my Android and NAV3 without issue and quite simply. I use the Android for my phone/tunes because it plays higher quality .FLAC files, whereas GPS units typically play lossy .mp3 files.

Even more impressed with the rapid response software response and smartphone interface (20).

One thing about the phone mic. At speed, you need to either have the windshield up or visor closed - which on a hot day can be a hassle.

Good Luck.

On the Sena, why couldn't they wire the knob like a water faucet? Clockwise for less volume, counterclockwise for more? Odd.

Every volume control on any electronic device I've ever used that has a knob, has been clockwise for more volume, counter-clockwise for less volume. That's been the convention since the 1940s, at least, if not earlier.

Every volume control on any electronic device I've ever used that has a knob, has been clockwise for more volume, counter-clockwise for less volume. That's been the convention since the 1940s, at least, if not earlier.

Even with faucets, it can vary depending on hot or cold water.

You know, now that you mention it, that's exactly right. I guess it's been decades since I've used an audio device with a knob.

Everything is either remote or push button now.

It just seems foreign because I'm "screwing it" into my helmet it seems.

Well, the Scala is my primary since I like it better.

Archived