IGNORED

What replacement light bulbs do you use?

llee3

I have been using Philips H3 CrystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulbs. Every 9 months I have to replace them and Ive gotten tired of that. I like the output of them, just not the process of putting them in… I am thinking of trying Sylvania H3 SZ SilverStar zXe High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulbs this time around.

I was wondering what others are using when their lights burn out?

Guest Kakugo

I use Osram Nightbreaker Plus. They are being discontinued and replaced by the new Nightbreaker Unlimited... with an obvious price hike.

Last about the same as the usual cheap H7 bulbs but put much whiter light out, and that's exactly what I want.

terryofperry

Go to Sylvania's, GE's, Philips' automotive lamp site and pull down the catalogs. For example Sylvania H7 # 64210 has a rated life of 510 hours while a # 64210 LL has a rated life of 930 hours. The GE Night Hawk H7 has a rated life of 130 hours in one configuration while a Night Hawk H7-55NHS has a rated life of 150 hours while an H7-55NH is rated for 500 hours.

You get the drift. There are many issues with motorcycle head lamps. Vibration, voltage, starting to name a few.

Good luck.

Terry

Yup, I gave up on the "higher output" bulbs. They were slightly brighter, but MUCH shorter life.

I'm actually experimenting with HID for the low beams now. Technically illegal, but after some careful aiming and adjusting (having a buddy ride bike while I observed) they appear to be only slightly worse than stock to oncoming traffic. No flashing from oncomers for several months now...

Yup, I gave up on the "higher output" bulbs. They were slightly brighter, but MUCH shorter life.

That hasn't been mt experience. I've been using the Philips Xtreme bulbs and my experience is that bulb life is comparable to OEM and light output is considerably better.

This website has some interesting articles on the human eye's reaction to different types (color temperatures) of light. Look at the articles under the "Bulbs" and "Lights" links on the left side.

That was my experience as well. I now use regular old H7's that you can get at any auto supply store. I had one pair of "fancier" H7s (in the two low beam positions on my 1200RT) that lasted a grand total of about 30 days. They both blew on start-up at the same time.

Afternoon llee3

H-7 bulbs are not a great choice for long bulb life as the filaments are wound very tightly with the coils spaced close together. (but if using stock frontal lighting we are stuck with them)

I have a friend running some Osram/Sylvania 64210L H7LL in his 1200RT. So far so good (over a year now)

Some of the auto manufactures have had their automobiles experience very short H-7 life so have requested & are now using H-7 LL (long life) bulbs (seems to have really helped their bulb life issues.)

In any case if someone else wants to try them they are Osram/Sylvania 64210L H7LL - (not cheap though)

I should add-- (in case anybody wonders) the Osram/Sylvania 64210L do have UV filtering coated glass so they won't yellow your headlight lens like some other "non UV" protected H7's do.

Personally, I'm back to trying the 65W Osram H9 "burner"-- H9 filament on H7 base again. I tried those early on with my last 1200RT & their life was as short or shorter than the factory H-7 bulbs (2 sets both went out fairly quick). Last set I am running seem to be doing better but I still don't have 10 months on them so no real consensus yet.

John Bentall
Afternoon llee3

Personally, I'm back to trying the 65W Osram H9 "burner"-- H9 filament on H7 base again. Last set I am running seem to be doing better but I still don't have 10 months on them so no real consensus yet.

+1. My Osram 65W seem to be lasting well.

Tesla H7 have served me much better than OE, or 'named' brands.

Currently on over 20k miles, and 2 years with one, and just swapped the other low bulb out after a longer period.

Usually bought for £5 ($7.50 ish) per pair, including one of each of the other bulbs on the bike. (Stop/tail. turn signal, capless position light, and a couple of others, and fuses I don't use)

Available as offers at Aldi and Lidl in the UK, usually 2 or 3 times a year, Yes I have a small stock, and a full set on the bike.

I got the new lights and finally tonight had a chance to install them. (man I hate driving with just the headlight).

I got one installed and when I tested it nothing. Still no light.

Thats when I grumbled something about maybe I should check the fuse before tearing into taking the tuperware off…..

Sure nuff, 1 blown 15 amp fuse later the lights were working.

I went ahead and installed the old light back in since there was a differance in light color between the 2 sides. Ill be due for the 42000 mi work in a week or so so I am going to replace both then.

It had bugged me that they both blew at about the same time. I check most every week. Bone head move not to check the fuse. At least I won't make THAT mistake again. Ill make another instead.

Ill have to try 65W Osram H9 "burner" out next time.

I just replaced the H7 Osram 64210SU low beam on my R1150RT and it was the original bulb, which was 12 years old!

The bulb was superseded by the Osram 64210L. I bought mine on-line from German Auto Supply for $20 shipped.

I got a 07 R1200RT at the end of June. My previous bike was a 1982 Honda cb750, So a little upgrade. My computer says I have a bad bulb up front, but they all work. I have removed the bulbs, checked the resistance and put them back in. The previous owner put LED bulbs in the little lights beside the low beams. I don't know if that is why the indicator is on, not sure how long it has been on since I am just learning this bike.

Sorry so long,

Thanks.

Archived