IGNORED

Can anyone recommend a good helicoil kit

Jimroc777

I have to repair a stripped hole for my valve cover on a 04 r1150r rockster .

I was told I need a helicoil kit. Can anyone recommend one ? Maybe where to get one?

I believe Helicoil is a brand name. so to be specific, you want a thread repair kit. there are many, but I have used helicoil and time-sert. I like time-sert a little better

http://www.timesert.com/

if you lived close to Atlanta you could come over to my house, I have two full kits with a wide range of insert sizes.

Thanks for the offer Randy but I'm in orlando fl.

I have never repaired a stripped hole before. I'd like to buy the kit but not sure of the size threads on the bolt, what size tap ect...

By chance, the site you posted, would that have everything I need to do the job? Thanks

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Jim

take the rocker cover bolt down to a Ace and they should be able to help you get the right size. I recall getting my kit at a local Ace.

Great idea Danny,ACE is a handy source for many small parts...

Jim, once again, beware the TAP! ACE may have the tap needed for the 6mm heli, however, I looked for one in the tool section without success. The heli TAP should be where the coils are and I DID buy the metric tap/die kit (2mm-8mm) and the tap in heli coil kit WAS a different size!

Just trying to warn you bro, that IS your head you'll be drilling.

JerryMather
I believe Helicoil is a brand name. so to be specific, you want a thread repair kit. there are many, but I have used helicoil and time-sert. I like time-sert a little better

http://www.timesert.com/

if you lived close to Atlanta you could come over to my house, I have two full kits with a wide range of insert sizes.

+1 for Timesert's ... used both

Jim,

I went to a local Napa auto parts here in Jax and got the kit, sized as DirtRider said in the other thread.

Wrap a piece of tape around the drill bit exposing just enough bit to sink the whole helicoil insert into the head.

Put some red loctite in the hole, thread it in carefully and slowly and then wait a couple minutes before putting the valve cover back on.

it's not difficult, but it can be a real problem if you don't take the time to do it right

Thanks for the info everyone...I'll be tackling this project this weekend..

Just to be sure. I need a 6 mm insert. And a tap for 2 to 8 mm? Don't want to get the wrong parts....expensive mistake.....thanks again

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Jim

the kit will come with everything you need.

Inserts

Drill

Tap. However, you may need to remove the tap from the kit and see what it is marked as to help with buying a second tap. Emphasis on may. The second tap would be identical except it'll be a bottoming tap used to almost fully thread a flat bottom hole. A normal tap will not due that due to the tapered end. You would start with the tap provided by the kit and run it in until you hit the tape mark that you place on it to indicate the hole depth. Then, switch over to the bottoming tap and run that in until the tape mark on that one. When tapping, I find it easiest to go between 60 and 120 degrees before reversing about 60 degrees to aid with breaking off the chip and then repeating. The only caveat to that is to start the initial cutting with at least 360 degrees to make sure it gets a good start on thread forming where the thread is very thin (due to the taper).

Heli-coils are fine for most applications and should do you well for this. Follow instructions, install carefully, enjoy the results.

But for the future: Once you try a Time-Sert you will never go back! I used for some spark plug repairs (where Heli-Coils are NOT recommended as they tend to back out) and wow... Much easier to install and will not back out.

Yes, the kit costs a lot. But they work and are worth the extra $, IMO.

Archived