IGNORED

Garmin Nuvi 3590 vs 2597

SK_in_AB

I know many on this site use the Zumo's, but I am desperately cheap. And my garmin 1490 just crapped out days before a trip. I'm comparing the Nuvi 3590 with new active glass tft screen to the 2597 which has a regular touch screen. I haven't seen either in action yet. My questions to those who may have one or either of these units:

Can you work the glass screen with gloves? I think not unless they have the metallic finger tips meant to conduct.

Is the screen brightness or resolution better on one of these models? I hate the reflections, but also find my old Nuvi washed out in bright sun.

I've hear the glass screen blacks out with polarized sunglasses - true or not? How about the drop down sun shade in my helmet (Schuberth, not sure if it is polarized)

Any other tips for a sub $400 GPS I will use 50/50 on bike and in my car?

thanks in advance

Stephen

areyouolsen

Heya SK,

I use a Nuvi as well (the 5 series - I think it's just a little bit bigger of a screen). The only real problem I find myself mildly irritated at is that my gloves/fingers are too big and I end up hitting the wrong button.

As for your questions:

- Gloves DO work on the screen. It isn't like a smartphone screen - it relies on pressure and not electrostatic differentials.

- The screen has a matte finish to it, so it doesn't have reflection problems. It's usually bright enough during the day, but sometimes washes out in desert sun. I've still taken it between NM, CA and AZ during the daylight without much problem. I just use my hand to shade it if I can't read the street name at the top.

- No polarization problems for me. I ride with polarized sunglasses underneath my smoke visor. Like I said, I live in the desert.

My tips are as follows:

- Get as big a screen as you can. That helps with the big fingers/small buttons issue a little.

- When you're typing something in, it will pop-up the letter you're entering as you touch it. Hold your finger on there for a split-second longer and ensure that's the letter/number you want. If not, keep it on the screen and drag your finger around until the letter you want is highlighted before you lift your finger. That will cut down on the number of times you hit the delete key.

Any other tips for a sub $400 GPS I will use 50/50 on bike and in my car?

Sure, how cheap are you? :grin: If you're like me you get a Streetpilot 2720 for $50 off ebay and force on some new maps.

I,m thinking ~$200 either new or refurbished. JUst don't want to pay $600 for something that says 'motorcycle' I know there are lots of great features on the Zumo's like tracking, waterproof, big buttons etc. but audio out is probably the only one I would want, and for now I am ok with just reading the screen for directions.

Well the 2720 is basically the old BMW Nav III. Back in 2007ish, they were about $800+. Guess what, they still do the same thing for a song off ebay. No bluetooth fanciness, but a great gps. You're not going to hear the audio on the bike, but you will in the car. She's annoying anyway. The nice thing is they are easy to operate on a bike with gloves on and its "waterproof" or at least built for motorcycle use.

I'm happy with my 2597 on my R1200RT. I applied silicon sealer around the screen edge to help with water intrusion. I found that a sun shield is necessary, as the screen brightness is not on par with the Zumo. Polarized sunglasses only darken the screen somewhat. I have had no problems with screen touch commands with gloves on, other than my fat fingers. I use a RAM model specific mount, which holds the unit very firmly. A general use USB cable for power purposes will fake the Garmin into computer connection mode, but this disappears quickly.

Archived