IGNORED

Custom LEDs

eddd

During the buildup of my compact sport touring bike (link) I wanted to add LED lights to the Givi top case. Admore has a kit for the V46 case but it only utilizes the center red circles for tail/stop and it costs $99. I'd seen where others had done there own thing with LED strips you can buy at auto parts stores or Walmart. These will work but are pretty costly...about $30 for two 6" strips. I was searching Amazon for a better deal on those 6" strips when I came across these.

How could I go wrong with 16.5 feet of waterproof LEDs? That is 300 12 volt LEDs that only need 1.2 Amps for all 300 for the whooping prices of $8.67. The nice thing here is that you can cut the strips to the size you want as long as you only cut at marked sections of 3 LEDs. I chose the white, but as you can see there are lots of color options.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Here are some 3 LED strips I cut and wired but didn't need for my project.

orig.jpg

Further googling and searching brought me to Custom Dynamic.

While digging through the site I came across dual converters.

standard.jpg

orig.jpg

These tiny devices take your tail light circuit and your brake light circuit, combine them into one lead that now controls both functions. The way it works is to cut the LED output for tail lights and give you full illumination when the brakes are applied all for $4.95. These components are buried down in the website. Search for TruFlex and scroll to the bottom on that section.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

The camera makes the lights appear orange, but the are in reality a bright red when showing through the case's lens.

BTW, I also have the attention-getting flashing brake lights on my bike's main and top case brake lights. That cost me a whole $10, also from Amazon (link).

I also have a turn signal function built into my top case. I used two 3" amber strips per side, separate from my tail lights, and they show up as amber through the red lens. If you like to combine turn signals and stop lights on your project, Custom Dynamics has a tiny component that will handle that job. It is considerably more that the dual converter I used but still reasonable at $25 for both right and left.

medium800.jpg

While I placed all my lights under the lens you can place these pretty much where ever you have a flat surface adding lots of visibility for way less than most of the devices sold for that purpose.

I have no idea how any of this would function on the bikes with Canbus, but I'd like to find out.

The other nice thing about these strips is they can be used on a wide variety of applications. The power needed is so low that they can be powered with a $10 plug-in power supply link, or if no AC power is available you could power them for many hours using a 12 volt sealed battery like this one.

Informative write-up eddd. :thumbsup: Great conspicuity for the rear. Thanks for the links and info. Though, 50 hours seems pretty short life span. Did you order extra bulbs?

markgoodrich

Ed, regarding CANBUS bikes, I used a much more powerful LED flashing brake light on my RT...a flashing light used by ambulances, mainly, but also on some cop cars. I just tied it directly into the brake system using jumpers, and then used it for years without any issues. Buckster has done the same sort of thing, but more deluxe. So my point is, I bet it'll work with CANBUS bikes. But all you CANBUS people, don't come crying to me....

Informative write-up eddd. :thumbsup: Great conspicuity for the rear. Thanks for the links and info. Though, 50 hours seems pretty short life span. Did you order extra bulbs?

50 hours? It says 50,000 hours. I think I have serious saddle sores before they need replacing.

Darn you eddd, you make the rest of us look like pikers. :rofl:

Very well done and great documentation for the rest of us.

Good on ya! :clap:

That is a great find and a great write-up! I have a 42L Hepco-Becker topcase with a great big red reflector on it. I have always wanted to see if I could rig up some lights in it but never found anything reasonable pricewise to think of attempting it. I wound up gluing a little (but very bright) LED strip on the back just above the reflector and wiring it into the brakelight circuit. I think the name of the company I bought it from is (or was) Radiantz.

Thanks again edd!

Archived